T61 LCD Diagnosis Question

ckemme34

Estimable
Dec 4, 2014
Hi,

I recently dug up a high end t61 15.4". Everything seems to be in working order, except upon boot up, the screen is a red hue, and fades into a normal hue within a few seconds of loading. The display is fine on an external monitor. There is obviously something wrong, but before I go buy a new LCD, could this be the inverter?

Thanks in advance,

-ckemme

Solution
This is more than likely the LCD screen itself that needs replaced.

You might be able to find a parts one of craigslist to replace that out for cheaper. LCD's have come down in price lately too so it shouldnt be too bad to find one and purchase one.

http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/IBM-Lenovo/THINKPAD~T61~7661-1PU/

$104.

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
This is more than likely the LCD screen itself that needs replaced.

You might be able to find a parts one of craigslist to replace that out for cheaper. LCD's have come down in price lately too so it shouldnt be too bad to find one and purchase one.

http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/IBM-Lenovo/THINKPAD~T61~7661-1PU/

$104.

Solution
I've replaced the inverter in a similar model (T43 which is right before the T60/T61 came out) and it did not fix this same issue in that thing.

For a T61 I would not buy a screen as you can find the whole laptop for about $100 in good shape in many places. Just the screen would likely be close to the same price.

I'd just run this one as a regular PC with a monitor and get a used one for use as a laptop, same cost, but now you have two computers.

pcmagic

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013

I just looked up craigslist in my local area and was able to find 5 different T61's in excellent condition for $129-$200!

Thats actually a really good deal for one of those computers in the shape that its in. Those are excellent for kids and what not to use and abuse, as they take alot of abuse and keep going. But yea, hang the 9 is right, replacing the screen would be silly compared to the amount of work that you have to do to get it fixed.

That is on the high side for a T61, you can get a T400 for $140 on ebay, T61 should be in the low $100 range.
I sell a lot of Lenovo systems and for $200-220 you can get a Core i5 T410, that is what the bidding ends up at for me at least.

ckemme34

Estimable
Dec 4, 2014
Just like to give a quick update to anyone having the same issue as I. I forgot to mention that I did not have a battery and was using an AC adapter, upon installing a new battery the issue was resolved.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Odd, I never would have had you try it with a battery to try to fix this, it really should not make any difference unless you had some odd power issue and the battery evened it out. Try it again without the battery and see if that same issue comes back soon as you remove it.