Tech Myths: CD Chills and Phone Thrills

Status
Not open for further replies.

FUtomNOreg

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
Pink Floyd was enhanced not by putting it in the freezer. It sounded better because of the ice cubes you took out to add to your alcoholic beverage.

G

Well i worked in a hospital as an anesthesia tech over the summer. Although the hospital did have a no cell phone policy, this was consistently ignored. In fact, there was a cell phone in each room for the anesthesiologists. I asked the head tech about this and he said that once upon a time, cell phones could cause interference in things like an EGK. However, they would never render a machine unusable. Furthermore, modern machines are shielded and are not significantly affected by a cell phone.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
CDs are stored digitally. The data is encoded with redundancy that allows for error detection and correction.

Again if all the errors are correctable then the music stored on the disc is 100% identical to the original.

If you want to measure disc quality you can run a utility that will graph the number and types of errors found on the disc.

johnny_5

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
So Willy Winkle, Third Stage is among your oldest albums, but Boston's debut is not. Was it lost in the sands of time or did you actually own Third Stage and not Boston? If the latter, then, I really don't know what to say. :|

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
If you really think there's a difference, rip ta piece of both CDs to uncompressed .wav files, and compare the digital data...

A quick point... cellular phones were moderately dangerous to medical equipment and certain navigational computers on aircraft. When i say cellular phones, i mean the analog bricks we carried around in 1991 when the law was made. The phones we're using now are technically all digital PCS phones, not the analog cell phones those laws were written for.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The one point we always make is that consumers should buy media based on the value of the content they are storing.

I remember trying to burn a backup of data on my Computer before sending it in for repairs. I was using CompUSA branded CD-Rs (really really cheap stuff). I saw pinpricks in the CD media before I even burned it. The reflective layer on the CDs was actually the backside of the label on the top surface, which was actually brittle and cracked with too much pressure (the reason they tell you to use a felt-tipped pen when writing on them). Oddly enough, the disks burned just fine and could be read back a few months later. I don't care about them anymore, but I still have them, and it would be interesting to see if they aren't just completely dead by now.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
The part of the story I dont understand is how you made it through high school listening to Prince. I am suprised you didnt get beat up on a daily basis.

williamvw

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]johnny_5[/nom]So Willy Winkle, Third Stage is among your oldest albums, but Boston's debut is not. Was it lost in the sands of time or did you actually own Third Stage and not Boston? If the latter, then, I really don't know what to say. :|[/citation]
I went back for the prior two releases on CD later because I already had them on LP. ;-)

williamvw

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]thackstonns[/nom]The part of the story I dont understand is how you made it through high school listening to Prince. I am suprised you didnt get beat up on a daily basis.[/citation]
It pays to be taller than the other kids. Moreover, Prince was cool in the '80s. If I'd gone around listening to Air Supply and
Manhatten Transfer, yeah, it could've gotten ugly.

G

Back in 93 they had leaking gas fridges, that could add to the reason why pink floyd sounded so much better after sticking your head in there.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I am a pilot and cellphones on planes are not allowed to be used NOT because they interfere with instrucments (because they dont) they interfere with Cell network/carriers coverage range thats the ONLY reason!

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
You know, you gotta wonder where there stuff comes from. I mean, at some point, someone had to have come up with the idea, "Hey, I wonder if putting my CD in the freezer would make it sound better?"

williamvw

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]You know, you gotta wonder where there stuff comes from. I mean, at some point, someone had to have come up with the idea, "Hey, I wonder if putting my CD in the freezer would make it sound better?"[/citation]
I've thought that about many things. Look at escargot. How hungry did that first guy have to be, huh?

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]williamvw[/nom]It pays to be taller than the other kids. Moreover, Prince was cool in the '80s. If I'd gone around listening to Air Supply and Manhatten Transfer, yeah, it could've gotten ugly.[/citation]

ACDC, Metallica, Iron Madien, White Lion, Poison, those were cool, I do remember people listening to him. I just never could get over how much of a dousche he was. And I liked metal better.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
They did the phone on the plane one on mythbusters. The solution they came up with is that it does have the potential to screw with things, but really that would only happen if wires/equipment were not shielded properly. Realistically this isn't an issue, but we are still taking the "better safe then sorry" route.

lehighace06

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
cell phones in a hospital are the same as on an airplane, "better safe than sorry" ... that being said, my wife is an ER nurse and she and her coworkers use their cells at work regularly, given they have any bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.