Technician Installed Spyware to Photo Women

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Really? Try putting your Mac in steam to fix the problem and people actually took it in the bathroom showers?

Amazing.. no wonder they own Macs.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Wow- that's just disgusting, but frankly I'm more horrified that someone would actually be stupid enough to take a shower with their Mac. What is this world coming to...?

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
"Sorry, but the days of home visits by PC and Mac repair technicians are over thanks to stunts like this."

No.. They're not... You're wrong.
I do it regularly in my city. I have repeat and new customers via word of mouth. I consult with other technicians who also do it. The days of home visits are very much alive and well.

Do some fact checking. Poor journalism, otherwise...

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
While this guy and others like him are complete scum... But come on.. electronics+water=bad (and that's usually common sense even for the older/less computer literate). Hell I don't even take "water-proof" things near water if it can be helped because half the time it's bs. And if my computer ever said take it to the shower with me.. well honestly I'll probably start laughing, and then figure out how to get rid of the virus/spyware.

If it started just saying that after I had somebody come over to fix it (which would never happen), I think I would go find that person, and have a few words with him. If it was a big shop my lawyer would have a few words with him.

G

I'm sorry, but if you're stupid enough to take your computer with you in the shower, then you deserve what you get.

G

I am amazed at how gullible people are, in the words of PT Barnum.... there is one born every minute :-(

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Like people would really believe those messages? That's like believing a fake AV scanner that looks like XPs' 'my computer' window in a web browser.

I guess there's a reason that webcams have a little light that turns on when it is being used.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]Let's all forget about the countless slew of idiots that delete their System32 folder...[/citation]You've been hitting that crack again, I see.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
they deserve it... im not kidding.
we live in an age where everyone should have a computer, its a life necissity almost.
to not learn how to fix it just seams retarded to me...

but these people put it in the shower... my god... these are the people in collage?

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]"Sorry, but the days of home visits by PC and Mac repair technicians are over thanks to stunts like this."No.. They're not... You're wrong.I do it regularly in my city. I have repeat and new customers via word of mouth. I consult with other technicians who also do it. The days of home visits are very much alive and well.Do some fact checking. Poor journalism, otherwise...[/citation]
I agree. In IT, there's always opportunities to take advantage of the typically unbridled network access you have. For those that take advantage of this access, they're probably not going to have a long and successful career.

Pretty much any professional job is going to give you access to sensitive data. Think about HR or accounting. They won't be installing malicious software but they have access to do devastating damage to a business or individual they're doing work for. These are necessary and never going away, just like IT.

This is the internet age. Probably 99% of IT professionals wouldn't pull stuff like this but when it happens, everyone's going to know. It's actually a good thing for honest IT consultants because it makes our clients more appreciative that they don't have to worry about ridiculous BS like this.

ps Taking your laptop into the shower with you is usually a bad thing ;)

G

What the hell is wrong with you idiots who take any opportunity to blaspheme Mac users? It's the same mentality that makes right wingers blaspheme anything a Democrat says or does. "My team rulez, your team sux!" Grow up, idiots.

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
"Goodrich said that other victims who also received the same message actually fell for the trick, taking their computers with them into the bathroom while they took a shower."

/sigh

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]Wow- that's just disgusting, but frankly I'm more horrified that someone would actually be stupid enough to take a shower with their Mac. What is this world coming to...?[/citation]
Well, SOMEONE'S gotta post their every move on Facebook, you know? As if they think all of their friends care.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
what kind of weak opinionated news reporting is this ?... kevin parrish you have good stories but your opinion is borderline troll.

G

I call BS on this and these supposed messages popping up. First off, spyware isn't designed to be easily detected by displaying stupid a$$ messages to the user. Secondly, no Apple Genius bar worker has the skills to understand how software is written and interacts within its ecosystem; so, there is no reason they would tell someone to call the police just because a spyware program is installed. If that were the case, then all police departments would be inundated with victims of spyware every day.

As much as I dislike Apple, this 'story' sounds like an Apple hater's version of a funny story.

Status
Not open for further replies.