Teens Sending & Receiving 3,339 Texts Per Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I don't really like this new "in" thing. Gone are the days you could spark up a conversation on the bus home.

G

Have the youth (3-18 year old) forgotten that the best way to communicate is through face to face contact?

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Girls text more than boys do. NOT SURPRISED AT ALL. Was at six flags today and literally saw packs upon packs of tweens texting away. But outside of that realm, it's also so very, very true.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Texting is only faster if it's too say a single thing and get a simple single response. otherwise talking is a LOT faster.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Texting is only faster if it's too say a single thing and get a simple single response. otherwise talking is a LOT faster.[/citation]
Or if you're at a concert or something. Or in a place where you can't talk loudly.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]toastninja17[/nom]Or if you're at a concert or something. Or in a place where you can't talk loudly.[/citation]
it's a godsend for class.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Talking is hell of a lot faster. And I just don't understand these guys, I never break the 100 sms limit that came with my plan, and I guess that's because if I start a conversation with messages, I just phone the dude after the second message.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]it's a godsend for class.[/citation]
Right??? I text in class ALL the time, no one cares and I still learn. And unless you have a way to make your screen REALLY dim, like an iPhone, never text during movies. Although most tweens do that anyway. And they blind me.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
LOL!! Lucky for us , they're Banned in schools here....:) And luckily we still have parents bothered enough about the misuse of tech so it's a pretty simple rule, when you start working , you can buy yourself a cellphone, until then even the government ain't going to allow you to have one...
All though it's not 100% applied all over but it does stop a hell of a lot of crap from happening.... to kids...

hemburger

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
im a teen and i dont text much at all. i send at most 20 texts a month, i prefer to call people. i hate generalisations like this article.

hemburger

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
i send less than 20 texts a month and im a teen, i prefer the "outdated" method of voice. i hate generalisations like this article.

G

I have two teens. My daughter is 18 and my son is 16. And I am always telling them to just pick up the phone and call...but my son out textsmy daughter 5 to 1. It's crazy watching them. I have actually banned them during chores, family time or anything that needs their full attention....why oh why did I buy them phones...oh yeah...for peace of mind...hahaha

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Now that every smartphone has threaded SMS in an IM chat-style interface, it's pretty darn easy to believe 3000 texts a month since most are 'lol' or 'huh' or 'okay'. I have watched my wife churn through 200 messages in a casual chat in the span of half an evening. Thank god for unlimited text plans.

FriendlyFire

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Never ever sent a text message. I don't see the point. Whatever I need to say quickly can be done with a phone or, heavens forbid, by speaking directly at the person! Whatever I need to say that is not urgent can wait until I have the ability to send an email.

And before you ask, I'm 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.