shattered space

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
So I convinced my high school principal to allow me to learn a programming language during my second hour because I finished a semester online course in one marking period. My question is what is the best C/C++ book you've read? Please also explain why it was the best. I'm not talking about an advanced book either...please leave a comment about a introduction/beginners book. Also why is it that people post their programming homework on here if they chose to take the class, just seems ironic to me.

If you want to add a bit of history to your reading, try "The C Programming Language" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Programming_Language

It's one of the most famous programming books ever. While it may be out of date in many parts, it's a great start. For the same reason that anyone starting out in computers should learn the history and tech behind early systems starting with DOS instead of just jumping into using XP and on. There are so many people I work with that need to be shown what a "batch file" is, or a command prompt command, all they know is how to click a mouse. Not right for a tech.

About the homework posts, they are usually ignored or provide a nice place for us to add funny comments to.

shattered space

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
I will look into that book as soon as I can because I'm very interested in the start of computers and operating systems. Also I have started looking at some textual online tutorials i.e. cprogramming.com, and it's just a start. However I have a bit of code I would like some help on. I'm not getting any kind of grade for this it is all on my own, but I'm doing it during school.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
int help;
printf( "To see all commands available for each section, level, area, etc. of this game please use the 'help' command.\n" );
printf( " Select your weapon...\n" );
printf( " Shotgun, Assault Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Sub-Machine Gun(S.M.G.), or type 'others' to see ALL weapons available.\n" );
scanf( "%d", help );
system("PAUSE");
return 0;
}

I would like to know how to have the command "help" be typed in at any given moment, not just when the computer scanf's for it and have a list of game commands come up. I don't know how to do this and I would rather not trial and error my way to it and find out there is an easier way. Also how do I have it save game information i.e. game levels, weapon choice, health, etc. That is all for now but I'll keep posting, I will also upload my full text game once it's completed. Thanks.