That Facebook Settlement Email Supposedly Isn't Fake

Status
Not open for further replies.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jblack[/nom]Class Action Lawsuits are nothing more than a way to line a lawyer's pockets with money.[/citation]...not always! Haven't you seen the movie "Erin Brockovich"? :D

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Im all for FB getting sued and loosing... but whats the point when the most that each user will get is $10? In the meantime if I do something like steal 1 99cent song, I could be sued for hundreds of thousands? I'm no math expert, but something doesn't seem to add up...

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
"Fraley ended up bailing out after Facebook lawyers began digging up embarrassing material from her account..."
What the hell? This is a perfect reason not to ever use facebook again! That is just despicable.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]surfer1337dude[/nom]Im all for FB getting sued and loosing... but whats the point when the most that each user will get is $10? In the meantime if I do something like steal 1 99cent song, I could be sued for hundreds of thousands? I'm no math expert, but something doesn't seem to add up...[/citation]You're not a member of the American Bar Association, that's the difference.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hah, I got this email and I believe I deleted it thinking it was another scam. Then to find out days later that FB is legitimately working on the class action lawsuit.

ozvip3r

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
[citation][nom]surfer1337dude[/nom]Im all for FB getting sued and loosing... but whats the point when the most that each user will get is $10? In the meantime if I do something like steal 1 99cent song, I could be sued for hundreds of thousands? I'm no math expert, but something doesn't seem to add up...[/citation]
You're no spelling expert either, wtf is loosing!? Don't you guys learn how to spell basic words?

dark_wizzie

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
[citation][nom]ozvip3r[/nom]You're no spelling expert either, wtf is loosing!? Don't you guys learn how to spell basic words?[/citation]
Do you really think English is everybody's first language? It's fine to correct grammar, but why be such a jackass?

G

Being part of the lawsuit isn;t about the money. Its to keep companies in check. If everyone turned there heads the other way because they would only get 5 dollars, then expect more companies to copy cat what facebook did in the future. Hitting companies in there checkbook is the only way to get there attention. Don't do it for the money, Do It to bring a little justice for what they did wrong.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I got that e-mail too and read through it. At first I thought cha-ching but then I saw the $10 part I was like typical crap where we end users get the shaft while the lawyers get bulk of the money. I do agree one poster said the unclaimed money should go to a charity where it can do the most good. So I will not claim my $10.

dark_wizzie

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
[citation][nom]Darkk[/nom]I got that e-mail too and read through it. At first I thought cha-ching but then I saw the $10 part I was like typical crap where we end users get the shaft while the lawyers get bulk of the money. I do agree one poster said the unclaimed money should go to a charity where it can do the most good. So I will not claim my $10.[/citation]
Better off getting the $10 and donating that... what might happen is your $10 gets taken by somebody else that claims the cash.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Holysmoke[/nom]Being part of the lawsuit isn;t about the money. Its to keep companies in check. If everyone turned there heads the other way because they would only get 5 dollars, then expect more companies to copy cat what facebook did in the future. Hitting companies in there checkbook is the only way to get there attention. Don't do it for the money, Do It to bring a little justice for what they did wrong.[/citation]

i was going to post the same thing, class action is rarely done for a profit, its done to change a company.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i was going to post the same thing, class action is rarely done for a profit, its done to change a company.[/citation]But in this case, 20 million is nothing to FB. Zuckerberg eats diamond-encrusted cereal and when he takes a dump he flushes 20 million down the drain. They're not afraid to air your dirty laundry either, "Facebook privacy" is an oxymoron - and this lawsuit sure as hell isn't going to change much.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]surfer1337dude[/nom]Im all for FB getting sued and loosing... but whats the point when the most that each user will get is $10? In the meantime if I do something like steal 1 99cent song, I could be sued for hundreds of thousands? I'm no math expert, but something doesn't seem to add up...[/citation]
the point is that often the only way to get a corporation to change its ways is to sue the corp in this manner. the important thing is that there be a way to impinge upon the psychopathic nature of corporations in the only language corporations understand... $$$$$. the hope is that the corp will change its behavior.

... that the people harmed do not get a big payoutis unimportant in most cases (this one being an example).

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]But in this case, 20 million is nothing to FB. Zuckerberg eats diamond-encrusted cereal and when he takes a dump he flushes 20 million down the drain. They're not afraid to air your dirty laundry either, "Facebook privacy" is an oxymoron - and this lawsuit sure as hell isn't going to change much.[/citation]

From my understanding Facebook has very little the real value, most of the value in the company is intangible, kind of like with Apple. 20 million hurts them a lot more than your thinking.

evilsizer

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I got the email also, not worth bothering with IMO. It'll be interesting to see if FB takes all of the names of the people that file claims and deletes their accounts. They can do it, they can decide who will or will not be on FB. It's hilarious watching people get so wrapped up in social media. What will you do without your FarmVille?

Status
Not open for further replies.