The Best Headphones?

thrice103

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2003
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had some knowledge on some good headphones that are out there for say PC gaming. Preferebly, I'd like some headphones that have ear pads that completely cover your ears. Maybe someone can help... Thanks

P.S. I've heard the Grado SR60 headphones are good, I think that's what they're called. Only problem is, they don't seem to be for sale anywhere...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by thrice103 on 08/26/03 08:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Check out <A HREF="http://www.koss.com/" target="_new">Koss</A>. I have the UR20's. They sounds great (<-gollum-speak) and they're comfortable for as long as I wear them (sometimes 8 hours or more playing StarCraft and CS). And they're cheap. :cool:

<A HREF="http://www.koss.com/" target="_new">www.koss.com</A>
Home < Products < Home Stereophones - the second model in the bottem row (-precioussssssss-).

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
SENHEISSER.

-J<font color=red>//\</font color=red>ECOR™ -
-J<font color=purple>//\</font color=purple>ECOR™ -

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Koss and Sennheiser should be good. It you are on a budget buy Koss, if you want to burn some money buy Sennheiser. although Sennheiser are alot cheaper then they used to be! Grado is an old company like both of the others, so Grado might be fine. Grado, used to make great products. I bought some of their cartidges for a turntable.

Besides sound the most important thing is to get ones that are comfortable. Get the kind that enclose your ear, (like you said) not just sit on top of them. They are bulky but have the most comfort, like the ones you would see in a recording studio. They are called the close type headsets.

You probably cant go wrong with either, but the Koss are great quaility for the price. I have an old pair of Koss and Sennheiser, the Sennheiser's cost me a ton 10 years ago, my Koss didn't and both sound great.

I checked out the Grado's they got great reviews, only problem I see is that all of the headphones are open air, meaning they don't enclose the ear. The problem with open ear is the fact the sounds from outside the headphones can be heard. I find open air less comfortable, I havent tried the Grado's though.

That all said, either should be fine. Availablity might be a problem. Koss and Grado are USA companies, Sennheiser is German. Like most sound products you need to listen to them for awhile and see what sound best and have the most comfort.

I like the Pro series for Koss, my Sennheisers are no longer avaialbe in my model. here is a link to Grado model 60s <A HREF="http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm" target="_new">http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_main.htm</A> You may have to check out an independent high end streo type store to find these to listen too.

Happy searching,

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Do you know about the Koss SB40 mic headset? They are the only koss headphones with a mic and w/o needing a battery for the mic.
Though the reviews are not entirely favorable, saying the mic is muddy.
But hopefully they will work decently. They have a nice full ear cover and appear like headphones that are big and kickass.

I would like to recommend these to the original poster but don't know if I should order them for myself yet or not.

I've had such good luck with Koss price and quality that I won't use anything else for headphones anymore.
I'm not audiophile, I use the koss 'plug' and find them great but for computer I want something with a mic.

A friend of mine has gone thru alot of Plantronics headsets and I will not try their stuff, but I guess they are good when they do work.

-----
1700+, Epox 8RDA, 512MB DDR266 DualDDR, Radeon 9800 Pro, Audigy, Logitech Z560s, MX500, Maxtor 80gig 8mb cache

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
I dont have to woory about a mic. I have a tiny mic above my monitor. These new Zalman 5.1 headphones seems interesnting. I dont think they have a mic though.

I hve used Plantronics for work and they worked fine. They are 6 yrs old and counting.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

Krazy

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
sennheiser headphones, HD580 (i have these ones) or, a bit higher up HD600

Great sound, and great comfort, just check out all the reviews on the HD580's, they're everywhere and are all Very Great and full of awards :)

<font color=red>If My Dog Had A Face As Ugly As Yours, I'd Shave Its Bum and Walk It Backwards!</font color=red>