The Car Powered by Photosynthesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
It's just a concept.
Cool design, great idea but.. it's too much futuristic for build a prototype.
No wheels on the front just some kind of rotation motor.

I prefer the "back to the future's" delorean.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
It's just a concept.
Cool design, great idea but.. it's too much futuristic for build a prototype.
No wheels on the front just some kind of rotation motor.

I prefer the "back to the future"'s delorean.

gpace

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Interesting concept. I'm still waiting till batteries improve and/or solar panels become more efficient.

Meanwhile, i'll stick with gas.

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
@Vertigo - that's brilliant! You should put together a snappy artist rendition and submit it to Toms :)

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Someone wasted their time and energy putting this together.

These concept things need to stop already. At least conceptualize something that may happen within your lifetime or something that uses possible tech.

I'm gonna conceptualize a house that will grow from a seed. You'll be able to grow your own house! Live in it as a 1 bedroom until it grows a 2nd bedroom. Hold off on the 2nd child until the 3rd room grows.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Yeah, I agree with Polly. It's a facinating concept, but the process of photosynthesis doesn't produce a readily useable form of energy. Instead, it catalyzes a reaction between carbon dioxide and water to produce simple sugars that the plants then use for energy. I just don't see any way this process can power an automobile (unless you pulverize the plants, add water and yeast, allow the mixture to ferment and then distill the resulting product into alcohol).

orionite

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
[citation][nom]vertigo_2000[/nom]Someone wasted their time and energy putting this together.These concept things need to stop already.[/citation]
Short-sighted much? How about we conceptualize some sort of device that uses invisible waves to send information over long distances. And to make it really cool, it won't have to have a cord to provide the power ... oh wait.
Regarding your house idea: Sure, it's an outrageous idea, but what makes you think this is an impossibility? Google Prof. Michio Kaku to learn a little about impossibilities.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
[citation][nom]orionite[/nom]Short-sighted much? How about we conceptualize some sort of device that uses invisible waves to send information over long distances. And to make it really cool, it won't have to have a cord to provide the power ... oh wait.Regarding your house idea: Sure, it's an outrageous idea, but what makes you think this is an impossibility? Google Prof. Michio Kaku to learn a little about impossibilities.[/citation]

How about making concepts from FEASIBLE tech instead of stuff that we're nowhere close to?

Hey, want to see my concept for a personal stargate that folds around your wrist? How about my matter transmitter that can send you back in time?

orionite

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
@figgus.
I must have missed the statistic that shows we have to choose between improving fuel efficiency by 2% in your V8 pickup truck and envisioning future technology, the stepping stones of which we are only beginning to prototype.
Without people like this, who are not afraid to leave the confines of the currently known, we would have no progress whatsoever. "Pure Science" is a necessity.

mancream

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I love how they make drug smuggling easier. My car is powered by Marijuana and Cocaine leaves. While my car burns Marijuana I get high from the exhaust...no use destroying the world with my car pollution. Install the exhaust with a gasmask right in my face with ventilation. (that way I can see while driving 5 mph)

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
[citation][nom]orionite[/nom]Short-sighted much? How about we conceptualize some sort of device that uses invisible waves to send information over long distances. And to make it really cool, it won't have to have a cord to provide the power ... oh wait.Regarding your house idea: Sure, it's an outrageous idea, but what makes you think this is an impossibility? Google Prof. Michio Kaku to learn a little about impossibilities.[/citation]
Kinda missed the point of my post, but I see figgus got it.

Point is... anyone with an imagination can conceptualize anything. 4 yr olds are just as good at it as adults. Just because you can dream it up, doesn't make it likely to happen any time soon.

As for Michio Kaku, as brilliant as he might be, and as unfamiliar with his work as I might be, writing a book about future tech and saying it's all possible as soon as technology is ready, is kind of a "well duh" kind of thing to me.

Call me a pessimist if you want... I consider myself a realist. 2 sides of the same coin maybe.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
wow not more of these imaginary and not even remotely possible posts... this kind of garbage shouldnt even be posted, the only time as if there is some kind of breakthrough and scientists could do it in the future, but as of now just some futuristic pictures are worthless

i bet there are retarded patents on things like this even though they probably have no clue how to do it, ya they can describe how plant life does but not how we can pull energy from it... im sure everyone knows how broken the patent system is

orionite

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
If you're unfamiliar with his work, why do you infer that his book is about "it's all possible"? It is not. Instead it contrasts technological concepts with what we know is possible and not possible today.
People lack imagination and emotional distance these days. Anything that is not understood or doesn't fit their concept of how things should be, is immediately mocked and dismissed.
We need those brazen hypothesis, if only to force us to prove their fallacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.