THGC - Folding@home team 40051

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
YOu are such a punk... I can't even get past 2750 if my RAM is on a DDR333 Divider and now you have another proc to OC. DAMN, lol. Good job man and congrats, but becareful water is abitch. Mine is acctually leaking slowly atm which is why im headed to get some sealent again. My advice, stay away from plastic splitters and tubing that is not compatible with compression fittings (which is use lol). It was an interesting "mod" to get the tubing to work.

cmptrdude79

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
SuperFly, I had the same problem until I dropped my cmd rate to 2T. Try that and see if you can go farther. Good luck on your OC.

-J

bb1

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I seemed to have lost one WU from each of my computers last week.

My athlon 900 has yet to turn one in. It dropped a unit at 390/400.
My P4 dropped a unit as well.

Does this happen very often?

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
doesn't happen unless you end the "fahcore_x" in the task manager or something goes wrong (not sure exactly what really), but under normal circumstances, it shouldn't happen, My P4 has dropped 2 WU's which it has re-done, i'm just glad it wasn't one of the big 20,000 framers.

Ara

BTW, guys, is there a 64bit version of F@H? would it benefit speed?

doubled

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
doesn't happen unless you end the "fahcore_x" in the task manager or something goes wrong (not sure exactly what really), but under normal circumstances, it shouldn't happen, My P4 has dropped 2 WU's which it has re-done, i'm just glad it wasn't one of the big 20,000 framers.

Ara

BTW, guys, is there a 64bit version of F@H? would it benefit speed?

I had 4 "check sum" errors on one of my 3 PCs. Pulled out the "OCZ Gold High performance memory" and replaced it with Kingston Value RAM. Not a single error since. If you are getting errors, you might want to run memtest or some other program to test for memory errors. The fact that you are bombing out is a indicator to me that you have at least on bad memory module. I swapped to the cheap RAM and OC'd 10% more on top of it. It's completed 2 WU error free since the change.

20,000 frame unit? I have been getting 20,000,000 frame units.

On another note: with this "donating" anyone ever looked at a tax write off? Think of the PC ou could build....game for 4 hours, fold for 20 per day.....write off 83% of the cost of your computer?

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
first time was my fault, second time i was having stability problems because i was playing with clock speeds, so those are both accounted for, i haven't had any others so far...

i'm just glad i was on one of the shorter WU's. The RAM you find in this country isn't great, it's all generic. And the biggest brand name i've seen (which i have 2 out of 4 modules in my computer) is kingmax (not kingston) and i don't think this brand is something great, but so far they have overclocked well. i just need cooling to pump up my processor voltage.

Ara

jumpmaster

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2004
How long does it usually take to complete a single frame. My 4000+@ 2.6 takes 1 minute and 2 seconds to render a frame. Is that slow or normal?

Ralkthor

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
It depends completly on the work unit you are working on. Some take numerous minutes to complete where some take only seconds. One of my computers is working on a 400 frame Tinker core and it takes about 6 minutes on the Pentium 4 3.2Ghz that its runing on. On the other hand, when I run a Gromacs core on my X2 4400 with 20,000 frames, each frame takes less than 10 seconds normally.

So basically it depends on the core you are working on and the speed of your processor. I hope that helps.

Ralkthor

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Hey everyone, I was thinking we should probably try and split up our discussions into different threads since we have pretty much moved to the distributed computing section. Otherwise, my guess is that we are going to get another 40 page post :( which I really don't want to have to sort through (my guess is that no one else wants to either).

So I don't really have any ideas about what kind of threads we want to have but a general FAQ one, a folding general one, an overclocking one, or whatever people want to do would be good now that we have the space. Let me know what you guys think.

stefan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
hi,
i think a HOW-TO post as a sticky might help, but only a little.. think of it: each thread basically starts with a howto and still people ask the most simple questions. there are people who read how-to's and others who don't. and if you spread the threads it's also more difficult to keep track of the posts.
just my 2 euro-cents. ;)

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
hi,
i think a HOW-TO post as a sticky might help, but only a little.. think of it: each thread basically starts with a howto and still people ask the most simple questions. there are people who read how-to's and others who don't. and if you spread the threads it's also more difficult to keep track of the posts.
just my 2 euro-cents. ;)

Hey your euro 2 cents is worth more than my US 2 cents.... CRAP! lol

EntityAnomly

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Either he's getting crappy WUs or he's loosing machines. I haven't seen him on the forums for a while so I don't know that he's going to answer you on that one.

doubled

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Iv'e been tearing thru them pretty quick, but 2-3 days ago I started getting WU that are 3-4 day projects. Anyone else?