THGC - Folding@home team 40051

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
@All
I wrote thsi post in reply to someone in the folding sticky that wanted to know how to switch from the gui to the console without losing the work unit he was on. I figured it would be usefully to people here too. He was trying to figure out how to unistall the gui and install the console with out messing things up and someone suggested copying the work folder but I think this is a better solution. Most if this is just how to get th console going as a service really.

You don't have to un-install the old version. You simply remove the shortcut to it from the Startup folder in your program files directory then copy the console executable into the same folder as the GUI version was in.

Once you do that, quit the gui version and open a dos window Start|Run type "cmd" and hit enter.

Navigate to the directory that F@H resides in and start the executable with the -config or -configonly flag (type the file's name followed by the flag you wish to use) the difference between the two flags is explained below. Go through the prompts, most of the settings should default to your old ones. Change the start program automatically option to "yes". This will cause F@H to set itslef up as a service.

Once you are done with the settings the program will either start folding (outputting the same stuff that goes to the log file into the command window) or give you a message that it is terminating and exit. What it does here depends on weather you used -config {start folding after configuration} or -configonly {quit after configuration}.

If you used -configonly you can go into Control PannelAdministrative ToolsServices and start the service manually (right click on it and click start). You will only have to do this once, from here out the service will start automatically with winodws.

If you are not comfortable with the starting the service from the MMC (Microsoft Management Console) then just restart and the service will start with windows.

I appologize to anyone who read this whole long post that didn't need the information but I think it will help some people. I hope I put enough detail in so that no one is left with any questions. If I didn't please ask them, that is what we are here for.

P. S. There is another thread about folding in the distributed computing forum. That is probably a more appropriate place for us. I just wish the thread there would also be made a sticky.

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
so.... to get 2 instances... what do we do? same thing twice, or will there be a conflict between the 2 instances?

if i get 2 instances running, is there any of the graphical controls to "pause" the work on one of them (will make me feel better during gaming and i don't want to use the graphical version anymore)

Ara

EntityAnomly

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
When you install the console version it will as for a workstation ID when configing. If you install 2 consoles you just need to give them two different IDs.

Set them up as a Windows service and then if you want to "pause" one or both you just have to goto the Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services and stop the processes for FAH. Then when you're done gaming you can start them back up again the same way.

EntityAnomly

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
New Thead Alert!!

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/THGC-Folding-home-team-40051-Frequent-Asked-ftopict230774.html

I have started a thread for frequently asked questions. I would appreciate any help from anyone on the team in populating the list with topics.

What I would like to do is use the thread I linked above to keep a master list of topics and have individual threads for each topic. I will then put a link to each topic in this FAQ. That way they will be much easier to find.

Feel free to check it out and make some suggestions.

Thanks Team! Happy Folding!!

doubled

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
It's good to see good competition for the #4 producer spot. The sad thing is I have been keeping off my gaming machine so it can keep folding. That's just sick. It looks like I might have a shot at #4 overall team position in 5.5 years. WOOT! Something mor addictive than gaming....and I just watch.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Well my 7800GTX decided to fry itself for some reason I can't fathom. I have changed nothing in the past month or two related directly to the card and it up and fries itself. Somehow my other rigs are maintaing a 400+ p/d avg. I dont know how because this was my main folder.... must be gettign QMD bonus on my intel rigs :)

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
well guys... i got one of those massive 50,000 frame WU's - ON MY SLOW MACHINE!. is there anyway i can transfer this to my gaming rig safely? the slow machine is running graphical whilst the gaming is running 2 instances of service (if that's important) i wanna get this WU done quickly as it's 400 some odd points... and i would like 1 of the WU's on the gaming rig onto the slow rig... is that possible?

Thanks in advance...
Ara

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
In theory yes that should be possible. I am guessing just copy and paste the work folders. I have not tried it myself, but I have copied and pasted work folders from a network share drive to my USB key many a time to take it with me when I change lab computers, so I assume the principle is the same.

I usually just copy everything in the folder(console.exe, config, work folder, all of it) then paste it on the comp, let it run, then copy it back to my USB Key when Im done in the lab and hold it over for another day.

rockerrb

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Definately a noble project. I'd like to find a website where I can get a list of lots of different distributed computing projects. Distributed computing is definitely the way of the future, but i'm keeping my processor to myself for now. :D

lhgpoobaa

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well just a quick post to let you guys know im finishing up on my folding exercise (for now).

150,000 points from one dual core CPU is a good achievment...
gonna do some climate prediction now for a change.

I got to rank 10 briefly before being overtaken...
time now for DHlucke to overtake me :)

adios

cmptrdude79

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Anyone been having problems submitting WUs to any of the servers? Specifically 171.65.103.100, 171.65.103.151, 171.65.103.160, or 171.65.103.162? I've had several work units caught in various queues since Saturday at least, and was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem.

I've noticed that some of those servers appear to be having problems from time to time. Any idea how quickly Stanford normally jumps on issues like that?

Thanks,

-J

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
i'm guessing you've checked the server stats page?

the file may be large and thus take a long time to upload... however, i recently had troubles submitting WU's for absolutely no reason (they were from a few specific days that i think the server may have been having problems thus didn't know the WU was out there) that i could identify, so i deleted them (even though i didn't really want to, they wouldn't submit no matter what), and since then i have had no other problematic work units. if you get newer WU's that do submit to those servers, i would suspect that the server's are having database issues, however, i am not expert on this...

Ara

cmptrdude79

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I found some additional information at the folding forums. It seems that unnecessarily having your "Use Internet Explorer Connection settings" checked will mess up WU submission if you're running IE7. Just wanted to make everyone aware of this issue.

Good luck and happy folding.

-J

cmptrdude79

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
If you have it set to run as a service, you need to go into your Control Panel, to Administrative Tools, Services (or hit run and type Services.msc). Once the list of services loads, scroll down until you see the Folding@Home service. Right-click and choose start.

If you launch your client manually, then browse to the folder you keep it in, and double-click FAH504-console.exe.

Either way, they will resume where they left off, if possible.

Hope this helps.

-J

bighop

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Hello all, just started folding for 40051 last night on my laptop (p4M 2.6, graphical client) and today on my new C2D system (6600@3.15 2Xconsole clients) and had a couple of questions.

Is there a way to pause the console like there is the graphical client while gaming?

If not, is there a way to run dual graphical clients? All I see is instructions for dual console clients.

Thanks
old p3 450@504 coming soon...