Thinkpad price comparison

Solution
The T series is Lenovo's more premium segment. The main differentiator is the case (lighter, slimmer) the keyboard, other small differences like slightly better displays and as you already realised the price.

The choice between the E and the T series is like chosing an Audi or Porsche chasis, but then in the next step they give you an identical list of internals to customize with.
With the Porsche it's just harder to cram the same hardware in less space while also keeping the weight significantly lower. However it is also very likely that you are paying a brand premium for getting the porsche/T series chasis.

Dave421

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013

For the time being I was just doing a general comparison by reading the reviews, the specific laptops I have in mind are at identical/very similar specs as in these reviews. What I'm looking for is not a too specific, detailed answer, but a more general explanation of such a price difference.

Jan 6, 2019
The T series is Lenovo's more premium segment. The main differentiator is the case (lighter, slimmer) the keyboard, other small differences like slightly better displays and as you already realised the price.

The choice between the E and the T series is like chosing an Audi or Porsche chasis, but then in the next step they give you an identical list of internals to customize with.
With the Porsche it's just harder to cram the same hardware in less space while also keeping the weight significantly lower. However it is also very likely that you are paying a brand premium for getting the porsche/T series chasis.

Solution