This May Be The PlayStation 4's New Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

santeana

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2003
ok sooooo... exactly the same as the ps1 controller... and the ps2 controller... and the ps3 controller... lol how is this news?

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
[citation][nom]santeana[/nom]ok sooooo... exactly the same as the ps1 controller... and the ps2 controller... and the ps3 controller... lol how is this news?[/citation]

Because it's new(s) information? Moron. It has several new features compared to the PS3 controller. Just because it's similar to preceding controllers doesn't mean this isn't news. In fact, Sony took the right path with creating something their customers would be familiar and comfortable with. Something more drastic would turn people away.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I would rather see them but the money into a more powerful system than these things I probably won't like or use but I guess I will reserve judgement until Wednesday when they show it at the press conference.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]santeana[/nom]ok sooooo... exactly the same as the ps1 controller... and the ps2 controller... and the ps3 controller... lol how is this news?[/citation]
ps1 ==> first controller then the dualshock
ps2 ==> dualshock 2(better quality DS1)
ps3 ==> sixaxis then Dualshock 3 and move

All controllers have the same general shape fans are familiar with and some new features. the ps3 had the sixaxis feature which was horridly underused. this picture OBVIOUSLY isnt the same as other because of that bif touchpad right where the start and select buttons should be. I certainly hope this isnt the prototype since I see more use in a VITA touchpad in the center and start and select buttons beside it. dont quite see a whole lot of use for a touchscreen on there without physical start/select buttons.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
It is quite different. Never judge the housing for the tech inside of it. Just because it has the same look and feel (something that many PS owners are quite particular about), does not mean that the insides are identical.
[citation][nom]jaber2[/nom]What? no glove controllers? are we still living in the 80's?[/citation]
Don't you have that the wrong way around? The 80's brought us the glove controller, and if nothing else it showed the world that it was a bad idea.

Sykar

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
It looks kinda chunky, like the Xbox controller, I loved how light the PS3 controller was. I don't think the concave/convex joysticks are a good idea, I believe the totally concave design is more comfortable but I guess we'll see.
Relocation of the Start and Select buttons seems to be pretty logical but I dislike the glossy finish of the plastic around the main buttons, will catch a lot of fingerprints but I guess it goes with the glossy touch area.
The jack connector is a neat idea but I don't see the usage of the speaker (if it's a speaker) but a mic could be

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I like it. The slimmer one up top (which is the newer shot) looks much better than the chunkier one at the bottom of this article, looks like they slimed down the hand grips or something, it just looks better. Maybe it's just the angle. I still prefer the 360s joystick placement, but I guess we can't hope for Sony to adopt it since they are so entrenched in Dualshock legacy. I hope they improved the trigger shape. The joystick pads look much better, they always slipped off my thumbs on the PS3/DS3, I like the concave 360 shape better and this new one seems like the best hybrid.

The Touchpad and the Move color blob on top are interesting, not as crazy as the Wii U pad but that's good IMHO, more of the cost will go towards the internals.

Overall seems like a very positive change.

I wonder what Microsoft will do, if they will change it, or just let Kinect 2.0 be their input innovation for this gen while leaving the controllers alone. I guess a small touch pad like this wouldn't hurt it, but there isn't a whole lot else I would change about it.

I hope the final looks close to this fan render

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I actually like the new controller. The PS3 controller always felt too small to me. The larger 360 controller always fit me like a glove. Since this controller looks bigger, it should feel alot better in my hands. Rumor has it that the triggers are improved, that's a good thing for sure, the PS3 controller's trigger sucked. I'm not sure if that's a touchscreen or a touchpad, other articles about the controller have contradicted each other. I personally hope it's a touchscreen, it'd be nice to have a screen for basic inventory management and things of that sort.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]ps1 ==> first controller then the dualshockps2 ==> dualshock 2(better quality DS1)ps3 ==> sixaxis then Dualshock 3 and moveAll controllers have the same general shape fans are familiar with and some new features. the ps3 had the sixaxis feature which was horridly underused. this picture OBVIOUSLY isnt the same as other because of that bif touchpad right where the start and select buttons should be. I certainly hope this isnt the prototype since I see more use in a VITA touchpad in the center and start and select buttons beside it. dont quite see a whole lot of use for a touchscreen on there without physical start/select buttons.[/citation]

THIS!

think of the pc mouse the old squared thing you used in the 90's vs the more sleek comfortabel mouses of today and even better gamimng mouses with so much versitility and function... same basic shape and same way to use it but much improved

G

Reminds me of Apple's Iphone, its the same thing just with a speed bump. Or in this case a tad bigger. Nothing innovative. My current gaming PC already outshines the rumored specs anyway so meh to the PS4..

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Meh...nothing could beat my GODLIKE "Dual Shock 2" so far....and nothing will, for many years to come. It's the PERFECTION in the very core meaning of this word.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]TheMadFapper[/nom]Because it's new(s) information? Moron. It has several new features compared to the PS3 controller. Just because it's similar to preceding controllers doesn't mean this isn't news. In fact, Sony took the right path with creating something their customers would be familiar and comfortable with. Something more drastic would turn people away.[/citation]
The "moron" part was unnecessary. He had a right to his opinion and you could have given insight without the immature angle. This is why I like this site less and less...people like you. On other forums you'd be getting a warning or at least enough thumbs down to get your message hidden, but on here you have +4 thumbs up.

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Damn, I was hoping for a neural interface helmet. When can I control my games directly with my thoughts? Its 2013 already, aren't we supposed to have this by now? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.