Thoughts on the Dell XPS 15 (new 2018 model)

Matt_Raj

Estimable
Dec 19, 2015
Hi Guys!

So I'm going off to college, and was thinking about getting a new laptop. My first choice was the new MacBook Pro 15. Here are the specs:

Display: 2880 x 1800 "Retina" Display
Quad Core i7 processor (2.9 turbo boost to 3.9GHz) --> Kaby Lake 7th gen
16GB RAM (LPDDR3 i know its kinda weird that we're in 2018 but this is still like 4-5 years behind)
1TB SSD
4GB AMD Radeon Pro 560
Nice Sound! They increased the bass, it sounded richer than my 2014 MacBook Pro 15 when I tried it in store.

Problems? For me, it's the following.

1. Bad palm rejection
2. Bad battery life, even for light tasks.
3. Slower performance noticed by some users.
4. Sloppy keyboard. Some say it feels cheap, and still others feel that they clack and click too loud.
and moreover, less travel for the keys. Perhaps this is an effort to make it as thin as possible.
5. All USB C ports (and thunderbolt 3? i can't recollect): While it doesn't really matter too much to me, I don't want this happening --> (Ahh, shit I forgot my adapter. How am I gonna make it through this lab? I can't connect any equipment!)
6. The price: pre tax: $3200.

For this reason I'm seeking a faster and more reliable computer.

I found that for about $2700 (10% discount), Dell XPS 15 (9570) got me

4k touchscreen
1TB SSD
GTX 1050ti 4GB VRAM
32GB RAM DDR4
Win 10 Pro
8th gen Core i9 4.8 Ghz hexacore.

However, I am not sure about the sound quality on this machine. Furthermore, I can't find complete reviews on YouTube for this new model.

I'd appreciate it if you guys share something you know about the XPS 15.

Thanks Guys!
-Matt

Matt_Raj

Estimable
Dec 19, 2015

Thanks for your efforts Kelly, I'd like to ask of the sound would be the same on both, as I plan to buy the regular touch version, not the two in one.

G

I haven't owned an XPS personally, but I've listened on other models and the sound is pretty decent. They could use a little tweaking on the lower notes, but seeing as I'm a little hard of hearing it never bothered me too much.

Matt_Raj

Estimable
Dec 19, 2015

Ah, I see. Thanks for your input!

I'm not looking for impeccable audio, decent audio is fine. (i'm talking stuff like video lectures and other educational stuff) I have headphones too, but I just didn't want tinny sound.

Thanks Again Kerry!

G

No problem! I'm a little old school so when it comes to laptops I like to go in-store and test a few out, then compare them online. I know not everyone is able to do that, but you just can't beat some personal testing sometimes!

Matt_Raj

Estimable
Dec 19, 2015

I agree, although I technically count as the new age, I disapprove of how people close their eyes and click to order online.
I need to get my hands on the machine to get a feel for myself before I buy.

-Matt