Tieing Access 2010 database with Outlook 2010 Calendar

IReallyAmLisa

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
At work, I use Microsoft Office 2010. I have set up customer database in Access, got a nice little form tied to it and everything, I'm quite proud of what I have figured out. (This will tell you how un-advanced I am with this, pretty please help me accordingly)

Now, what I'm trying to do: One of the lines in the customer database is there to choose a date and time to set up an appointment for an estimate. A little calendar guy pops up so I can just pick the date. What I WANT it to do is, something like, click on the "appt. date" field and it automatically goes to our Outlook calendar. Then I can click on a date and time, and the Access customer info that was just added to the database automatically populates the necessary information in the Outlook calendar... as well as puts that date and time into the Access database. This way it can be done all in one motion. Or something as similar to that as possible. Anyone have any ideas for me?

Solution

A lot of stuff is designed for the average user. But what you're trying to do is actually quite complex. Without the Office suite and the interoperability, you would not have gotten even close to this far.

I do this stuff for a living, and I see this all the time. Start simple, but then quickly run beyond the users capabilities.
And if you're at the "just figuring out the VBA window" stage...you have a long road ahead.

IReallyAmLisa

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
For what I've read, it seems possible, and I was given another link from another site that told me what code I needed to enter, I just couldn't figure out all the places it was telling me to enter said code and all the steps involved.
This is the link I'm talking about. It's good information, I'm sure, it's just only a little vague. I was able to figure out some things, but not all of it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/160502

USAFRet

Illustrious

What link? Or what code is it?

IReallyAmLisa

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013

Link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/160502

And the other problem is I'm JUST figuring out where to even put said code in the first place (with the obvious exception of the "design view" in access)

USAFRet

Illustrious

That code looks like it would work.
However:
"Advanced: Requires expert coding, interoperability, and multiuser skills."

This is not a trivial project.

IReallyAmLisa

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013

Urg, you're telling me. I just don't understand why Microsoft can't just design things to be used by the average consumer. I'm also trying to figure out how to print/export to pdf just 1 form record from a database rather than the entire database. More code. I'm really losing hope here :(

USAFRet

Illustrious

A lot of stuff is designed for the average user. But what you're trying to do is actually quite complex. Without the Office suite and the interoperability, you would not have gotten even close to this far.

I do this stuff for a living, and I see this all the time. Start simple, but then quickly run beyond the users capabilities.
And if you're at the "just figuring out the VBA window" stage...you have a long road ahead.

Solution