Toshiba L855 Power/ charging circuit after a little adapter transformer meltage

Randomantic

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
I have a Toshiba L855 that i've already replaced the keyboard and screen in the last couple of years, then gifted it to a friend. An aftermarket charger wound up melting a little, and now when a new charger is plugged in the battery light flashes and won't switch to the AC source. When the battery is removed, the adapter cord *can* power the device up *if* it's in just the right position and *if* the cord doesn't move... my assumption is the charging circuit is FUBAR or a little melted or components separated from a surge... and this needs a new motherboard because the charging ckt is integrated. Please, I would appreciate anyone telling me I'm wrong :)

Solution
I'm afraid I can't tell you you're wrong in the circumstances. The charger that fried may have been a mismatch in Volts multiplied by Amps. Those figures should ideally match the old charger which in turn should match with the figures on the battery. The Voltage and Ampereage could vary but they need to multiple out to the same figure on the battery.

It's still a possibility the cord has been yanked out too quickly or slightly sideways but the delicate de-soldering of the connections to the power jack and fitting another makes it quite an expensive job.
I'm afraid I can't tell you you're wrong in the circumstances. The charger that fried may have been a mismatch in Volts multiplied by Amps. Those figures should ideally match the old charger which in turn should match with the figures on the battery. The Voltage and Ampereage could vary but they need to multiple out to the same figure on the battery.

It's still a possibility the cord has been yanked out too quickly or slightly sideways but the delicate de-soldering of the connections to the power jack and fitting another makes it quite an expensive job.

Solution