Toshiba Laptop is connected to HDTV via VGA but tv shows a black screen!

MrSherlockGoal

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014
Hi guys, I have an old Toshiba Equium Vista Premium 32bit. I used to connect my laptop without problems to projectors and tvs until one day it stopped working. Basically, I connect my laptop to my tv as usual via VGA cable, I can see both monitors in Device managers, drivers do not need further updates and I can move the cursor out of the laptop's display but the TV' screen is black. Connected but is black. I formated my pc but the problem remains.The cable is fine because an other laptop i tried, is connecting fine. Can you please help?

Many Thanks in advance.

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
Try pressing Fn+F5, this should tell your laptop to output to the VGA connector. Depending on what it's set to, you may have to do it more than once. Do it once wait 10 seconds to see if you get an image on your TV, if not press it again.

MrSherlockGoal

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014
Hello TechGeek, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I tried that but still didn't work. Presentation settings also switched on, everything looks normal. monitors are connected but still Black Screen on TV. Any suggestions? Many Thanks

MrSherlockGoal

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014
Hi, yes it is automatically switched to PC mode via the sources list of my Samsung HDTV so... since i connect the cables it is automatically connected. I never had to adjust anything. Am just connecting now my girlfriend's laptop ASUS on tv, no problems at all straight awa is getting connected. Do you think that something could be wrong with my TV/video card?

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004

Have you gone into your TV's menu and switched the input to VGA? I assume the TV has HDMI, maybe DVI, Antenna, etc. One of these should be VGA.

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004

I wouldn't necessarily trust it to auto switch. See if you can manually switch it to VGA from the menu.

Do you have a monitor with a VGA input to try there?

MrSherlockGoal

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014
Apologies if I confused you. Basically, on the back of the TV there is an option for PC IN so there i plugin the scart/cable t0 connect my laptop with tv. there are HDMI ports but my laptop is old and not support them. Since I connect there, i take the remote control of my samsung tv and from the sources list i choose PC. automatically the tv shows the images of the connected laptop. Is this what are you asking me? Many Thanks

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004

Yes, this is what I meant. If you have PC selected and you see nothing and you've tried Fn+F5, the only other thing you can try is another display device. Do you have a monitor with a VGA input? If you do try it there and let me know. It could be there is a problem with the VGA output on your laptop, but I'm not will to call that just yet.

MrSherlockGoal

Estimable
Mar 2, 2014
Hello, I have connected my laptop to another laptop and it is still the same problem, black screen. I can drag the images from my screen but there are going 'into darkness'. I think you are right the problem could be ' output' ??

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
You're connected to another laptop? Where are you connected? Most laptops only have video outputs, not inputs. You don't want to be driving a video signal into a video output. It needs to be connected to a display device.

Particle_81

Estimable
Oct 28, 2014
I have the exact same problem. Have tried multiple cords and external displays (TVs). They are recognised on my laptop and worked fine previously. I tried the solutions suggested here but no luck. MrSherlockGoal, did you find a solution?

Juice_em

Estimable
Mar 1, 2015
I tried the Fn + f5 thing along with fn + f7 n f8...nothing changes... I cant help but feel it is an update because I have used it this way for the past 6 months no problem...I remember when I started...the tv would only recognise it if wiindows was at the desktop...not sleeping or hibernating or even rebooting...it doesnt show anything until logging in. But Ive never had problems...again I have a monitor and I tried connecting to it as well via hdmi and 15 pin vga cable and neither are showing..the monitor goes into powersave and the tv says no signal or in pc input signal unrecognisable.

I have sony bravia led tv and my xps1530 just stopped working(hdmi) one day and now nothing works as output...vga to tv under pc mode shows signal from pc is unrecognizable. Why would it just stop working? I dont think and microsoft updates occurred but I have no new programs and have not allowed any changes. I have a monitor for my desktop and it will not show anything either. It boots up because I hear the chimes from windows as it comes to desktop. I cannot see what is going on...one time on our living room samsung projection tv it showed the please determine what kind of output u want to achieve with this 2nd connection and I chose recommended option of making them the same. I cannot see a thing. Please help