Toshiba NB505 Netbook - HD Film Playback

Shivy011

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
Hi,

I have a Toshiba NB505 Netbook and I think I'm doing something wrong, or our netbook is a not up to it. While trying to play HD/BR films on our netbook off a file on VLC media player, it plays all jumpy and pixelated. Simply unwatchable as you can't see what is being displayed on the film. Is there a graphics option I need to change in VLC or something? I'd like to watch films on here at the very least.

Thanks

Solution
Hi, the only think you are doing wrong, is to play HD/BR films on your netbook. With the Intel Atom and only 1024x600 for the screen, it's not powerful enough for the resolution of the films you want to play.
If you convert to a lower resolution, you can play the films. I have a Asus with the same processor and screen, and the same thing happens with my laptop, but I don't use it to play videos at higher resolution. Also, it's not only the resolution, you have the bit rate, you could have a film with a 1080p resolution, and if it has a low bit rate, your processor (Atom) could play the film.

Shivy011

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
I've tried converting to 848 x 480 now on my main PC, seems to be working great on the netbook. Decent enough quality, not expecting 4K cinema stuff but good enough for when I go on holiday next week
Thanks!