toshiba satellite media fail boot help

confusedmommy

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
trying to fix my nieces laptop ( satellite c850 pscbwc-05700j , windows 8) but she didnt keep the boot UBS i told her 100 times do not loose.

ok so turn on laptop and it loads to a page that says

Checking media [fail]

please restart

so i need to do a boot with the boot disk but dont have one

where can i get a disk or a download for the bootdisk.

Solution
It could be due to either or it could even be a hard drive failure. The real problem with Windows 8 is getting a disk since it is not available for download. I would download and boot from a copy of Hiren's Boot Disk HERE. It has tools to check the hard drive and is free.

If you suspect a virus, you can download, make a boot disk and boot from Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 HERE. After booting from the disk, allow it to update and...

RealBeast

Distinguished
You will have to contact Toshiba for a replacement, borrow one from a friend, or buy one cheap off EBay or the like -- Windows 8 media is not as available as Windows 7 images.

Does the laptop startup at all, even in safe mode, or just nothing?

confusedmommy

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Just nothing
Says checking media [fail]
Please reboot or restart and one time said reboot with disk or USB

So I'm guessing it has to do with she touched the settings or got a virus or it might needs a new hard drive but don't wanna buy an new hard drive until I have tried everything else.

RealBeast

Distinguished
It could be due to either or it could even be a hard drive failure. The real problem with Windows 8 is getting a disk since it is not available for download. I would download and boot from a copy of Hiren's Boot Disk HERE. It has tools to check the hard drive and is free.

If you suspect a virus, you can download, make a boot disk and boot from Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 HERE. After booting from the disk, allow it to update and then scan the hard drive.

Both are free programs.

Solution