Toshiba Satellite No Display Black Screen but External Monitor Works

Annabelle Droyd

Estimable
Jan 4, 2015
System:
Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5050 - Windows 7 - 4GB RAM - AMD Anthlon II 2.1 GHz Dual Core - Radeon HD 4250

Problem:
No display at all - just black screen. No logo screen or anything when powering on.

Scenario:
One day I picked up the laptop to use after it had went into sleep. Display would not come on, powered off and back on twice before it would work.
Last week, my husband was using it for online shopping. He logged off his account, closed the lid, it went into sleep. I opened it up to use it and the display would not turn on. I powered off and back on, still no display.

Troubleshooting Steps Taken:
1. Removed battery, power cable, held down power button for 60 seconds, re-insterted battery and cable - **no success**

2. Shine light into display- I do not see anything **no success**

3. Insert windows disk **no success**

4. Connected an external monitor- **Works** (External one works, laptop one does not)

5. Change BIOS setting "Dynamically Switchable" to "Always Low"
Note: I don't know what that does, I read it in a forum and tried it.

6. Replaced cable from display to motherboard and also the LCD screen - **no success**
Note: I went ahead and replaced the screen as the screen that came in it had a few flaws and I intended to replace anyway.

7. Shine light into display again- I do not see anything **no success**

8. Replaced RAM (Already had some RAM so why not try?) **no success**

Although the external monitor works, could this still be a faulty motherboard? Motherboard is quite expensive so I want to rule that out completely first before purchasing another one.

I'm at a total loss here and have spent literally hours trying to fix so any help would be greatly appreciated. I can get around on a computer good, know how to change parts, etc but still am no expert. I am hoping I am missing something simple! Help??!!!! Thanks!

Solution
Hi

Thank you for giving a clear description of what you have done so far to fix problem

I presume you are aware you can send video graphics output to internal LCD or external screen or both at the same time

By pressing 2 keys

There is a symbol on a function key that looks like a square screen

Press Fn key plus this key changes where video output goes

This setting gets remembered

I hope problem is simple one not faulty motherboard

Regards
Mike Barnes

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

Thank you for giving a clear description of what you have done so far to fix problem

I presume you are aware you can send video graphics output to internal LCD or external screen or both at the same time

By pressing 2 keys

There is a symbol on a function key that looks like a square screen

Press Fn key plus this key changes where video output goes

This setting gets remembered

I hope problem is simple one not faulty motherboard

Regards
Mike Barnes

Solution

Fauzer

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
Hi Annabelle,

I have very similar problems with my toshiba.

Did you get this solved at all? Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

-Fauzer

Azrael_777

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016

I too have ran into this problem doing the exact same thing that you have with the same results. If anyone finds a fix to this please post