Toshiba Satellite & Skyrim = Oven

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Good evening everyone, I just bought a Toshiba Satellite literally 6 hours ago from Best Buy. I got it configured and everything set up at home then decided to put Skyrim on it. I turned the video settings to LOW but high resolution and made it through the opening scene and then received "Warning: A problem with the cooling system has been detected Please turn off the computer immediately and return it for service". I turned it off and waited 10 minutes, turned it back on and started running Prime 95. The CPU is sitting at 76C after 2 hours. Is the cooling on my integrated graphics that bad or did I get a lemon?

Solution

Brand new computer, getting this message, I would listen to it and do what it asked me to =)

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
If it told you to return it for service I'd return it and get a different one. 76°C is fine, and games run hot, but if its brand new return it..

Also not getting "set it for high resolution"? You should be set to whatever the native panel res is

k1114

Distinguished
Modern integrated graphics are integrated into the cpu. Prime95 doesn't use the gpu side of the cpu so it will get hotter when both the cpu and gpu are being used. You could just run the game and see what temp you are getting.

airanp

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

Brand new computer, getting this message, I would listen to it and do what it asked me to =)

Solution

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Thanks for the replys everyone. I just thought it was strange that a brand new, out of the box computer would overheat like that. I took it back to Best Buy and they did a simple exchange, no questions asked. I did take a screenshot and made it my desktop background so that they could see as soon as they turned it on what I was talking about.

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
I'm not a hardcore pc gamer. I have my Xbox 360 for that. I happened to get Skyrim from a friend for PC and wanted to play it. My budget for this computer was $450, so I just got something that I thought had the best hardware for the price.

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Toshiba Satellite L875-S7208
CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-2370M @2.4ghz
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz
HD: 640GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial ATA)
Optical: DVD-SuperMulti drive (+/-R double layer)
Graphics: Mobile Intel® HD Graphics
Screen: 17.3" LED Widescreen 1600x900

Just the tech specs from the website