trying to boot from bios (and change order of the uefi) and get windows 8 to boot off of a USB flash drive.

Matthew_189

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
Currently I'm trying to change the boot order and run a Windows 8.1 media creation tool from a 32gb flash drive for an ASUS x551m i have updated the bios for the laptop, and i am currently trying to change the UEFI order on the bios in order to get Windows 8 to re-installed and fixed, Also getting the proper instructions to get the media creation tool to work and doing it right.

Solution
Hello... You will need to use another computer if your OS is broken on the ASUS x551m ... You need to use the media creation tool APP in a working Win OS and the internet connection... not from a USB stick. B /

The media creation tool makes the BOOTable USB stick and adds the OS install program/files with a 8.1 Download from Microsoft, But requires a working OS, internet connection to use the APP.... and that's what you need for a "fresh/clean install" of the 8.1 OS from a USB stick.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/install-windows-81-easy-way/

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... Basically you need to make the USB2 stick "bootable" this puts a basic OS on the USB stick, that your BIO's will read as a Disk operating system (DOS)... Typically the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool will have a Option to click/check mark (make bootable), and it will do it for you... I think just a 8gb usb2 stick is all that is needed for WIN8... if you have problems using the larger 32 gb stick.

Once you have a BOOTable USB/ISO stick created... you need to set your BIO's BOOT order with USB first on the list and set your USB for Both (legacy&UEFI) save and exit. Some BIO's also have a Fkey/quick key to access a manual Boot device choice screen/popup during the BOOT.

Power down and place the USB stick in for your Next boot cycle.

Matthew_189

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016

im having no problem with the size of the flash drive, I'm having trouble booting from the flash drive and the boot order..it seems to have been changed by my dad and its not in the right boot order as if you would find it for it to boot properly..the media creation tool is supposed to jumpstart windows from the state that its in...but the boot order in which it seems to read the USB first from the other boot orders..is not first. So my dad had "tried" to fix it but i have no idea to try and get the UEFI in order and jump windows 8 to work from the media creation tool.

Ironsounds

Distinguished
Hello... You will need to use another computer if your OS is broken on the ASUS x551m ... You need to use the media creation tool APP in a working Win OS and the internet connection... not from a USB stick. B /

The media creation tool makes the BOOTable USB stick and adds the OS install program/files with a 8.1 Download from Microsoft, But requires a working OS, internet connection to use the APP.... and that's what you need for a "fresh/clean install" of the 8.1 OS from a USB stick.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/install-windows-81-easy-way/

Solution