Tuning sky digital through computer via windows media centre

jenfunsize

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
I am trying to tune my sky digital tv signal through my computer via media centre and cannot get it to work. I have looked up my hard drive model to make sure that there is a tv tuner card in there and it says that i have a TV-7131/FM Hybrid TV Tuner. So it does pick up digital and analogue signals. although i cannot find the card on the device manager so i am starting to get truly exasperated!!!!
We currently have a sky ariel that comes through the wall of our bedroom that is linked to the box downstairs so whatever you watch downstairs you will be able to watch upstairs.
I called pc world to check if i needed some extra equipment and they said that the sky signal is completely different and that i would not be able to get it through the computer without going through a difficult process.
they couldn't tell me as my warrantee ran out. marvellous!!!
Can anyone tell me what i can do to get this working? Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

jayk69

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Hi, i have had this working but i was using the output from the skybox (what you would use for the sky eye in another room) however picture quality was very poor and using the remote was a lengthy process as it took a while to catch up. it worked but was not worth it.
to be honest it would be cheaper and you will get a better result using a sky eye for the bedroom.

jenfunsize

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Hello Jayk69,
A sky eye? is that the tv link thing that has a sensor to change the channel? if not could you explain a bit more. I have one of those tv link things i just cannot seem to establish a sky tv signal with picture to begin with. Was there any other equipment that you used to boost the signal? thanks for your reply. I do appreciate it.