Question U530 Weird symptoms

Dec 6, 2020
Had a mate give me his old Lenovo U530 said to me it wasn't able to display anything, assumed it was a broken screen and plugged it into my monitor through the HDMI port. But it doesn't display anything either on the external monitor and doesn't accept any Fn commands to switch to the external display. Also double checked the cable and monitor worked fine. It seems to be running fine as the cpu fan spins up and runs at a consistent pace as well as the backlit keyboard lights up. Beeps when charger plugged in or removed but doesn't make the usual sounds when plugging in anything to the USB ports. Tried everything including switching the installed Dimm, reseting the CMOS and trying to get it to post. Doesn't seem to beep even when both the CMOS and Dimms are removed from it and runs at the same pace.

Any help on what this could be is appreciated.

Can you enter the BIOS (using F2 or whatever is the proper key). Since you get no beeps when the RAM is removed, I'm wondering if the processor is actually starting up. Have you tried to boot from a USB? Probably won't work but may tell you something.

Dec 6, 2020
Checked the manual for the laptop, said to enter the bios i would have to press the little NOVO button on the side. Tried booting using the NOVO button however I get the same results as with spamming all Fn keys on start-up with no difference in fan speeds. I assumed it was something like a broken GPU as i can still toggle the backlight on the keyboard with the Fn key and space bar. Also not to sure what you meant by booting with a USB, do you mean connecting a USB with a windows installer onboard or something else.

Had a mate give me his old Lenovo U530 said to me it wasn't able to display anything, assumed it was a broken screen and plugged it into my monitor through the HDMI port. But it doesn't display anything either on the external monitor and doesn't accept any Fn commands to switch to the external display. Also double checked the cable and monitor worked fine. It seems to be running fine as the cpu fan spins up and runs at a consistent pace as well as the backlit keyboard lights up. Beeps when charger plugged in or removed but doesn't make the usual sounds when plugging in anything to the USB ports. Tried everything including switching the installed Dimm, reseting the CMOS and trying to get it to post. Doesn't seem to beep even when both the CMOS and Dimms are removed from it and runs at the same pace.

Any help on what this could be is appreciated.

This is not "running fine", sounds like a bad motherboard. Fans and lights does not mean the system is running and it's just a display issue.

Checked the manual for the laptop, said to enter the bios i would have to press the little NOVO button on the side. Tried booting using the NOVO button however I get the same results as with spamming all Fn keys on start-up with no difference in fan speeds. I assumed it was something like a broken GPU as i can still toggle the backlight on the keyboard with the Fn key and space bar. Also not to sure what you meant by booting with a USB, do you mean connecting a USB with a windows installer onboard or something else.
If you can't even get to the BIOS, you probably have a serious problem. Time to take it to a repair shop.