UEFI boot is not showing SSD as a boot device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2018
its my dell inspiron 5520 , , i have a windows preinstalled in my ssd , and im using a internal hard drive too , now when i start the device it boots with the hard drive instead of the SSD , my UEFI boot is not showing the ssd when im using the internal hard drive - please give support asap

Solution
So if you remove the hdd windows boots normally with the ssd? Definitely sounds like secure boot if that's the case. There might be some problems allowing legacy mode, i done the exact same as you did with my dvd drive and run into some problems myself. I ended up formatting my hdd.

I figured you would get a prompt upon startup asking what boot you want. Whats happening is upon switching your computer on the system looks through the drives and chooses the drive secure boot is active on, your hard drive. The easiest way to fix the issue is to backup important data on that drive and just format it. Unless someone has an actual solution. Or you could try accessing your BIOS and change the boot order (try that first) But that wouldn't make...

woodmass14

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015
It might have something to do with secure boot. Usually there is an option within the bios to turn secure boot off and enable legacy mode. I had similar problems when trying to boot with another drive.

To add. When you say pre installed, do you mean you installed it to the ssd within windows or did you install it using a usb or disc and doing a fresh install. By that i mean, did you have a blank ssd in the system, boot the recovery media then install windows with that method?

Aug 16, 2018

when I bought this laptop it came with a hard drive but ive changed it with a ssd 3-4 months back , now this pc is running on the ssd
so i had the internal hard drive and i cased this hard drive in a caddy and now ive attached it in my dvd slot (on august 16th ) , so now my uefi boot is showing only the hard drive not the ssd
so ive disabled the secure boot and using it with the legacy boot
ps. is there any problem using the legacy mode boot ??

woodmass14

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015
So if you remove the hdd windows boots normally with the ssd? Definitely sounds like secure boot if that's the case. There might be some problems allowing legacy mode, i done the exact same as you did with my dvd drive and run into some problems myself. I ended up formatting my hdd.

I figured you would get a prompt upon startup asking what boot you want. Whats happening is upon switching your computer on the system looks through the drives and chooses the drive secure boot is active on, your hard drive. The easiest way to fix the issue is to backup important data on that drive and just format it. Unless someone has an actual solution. Or you could try accessing your BIOS and change the boot order (try that first) But that wouldn't make sense as the ssd is in the slot thats typically first on the list.

Should you format it, disconnecting the hdd caddy and plugging it back in once you're in windows on your ssd should be alright. I will occasionally disconnect it to put in another hard drive while my computer is on but my computer isn't your own so try it at your own risk. I believe its all plug and play at the end of the day so you should be alright.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.