Ultrabay and DVD Drive question for Lenovo Y500 Series?

crazykidguy

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
I'm just really confused on whether the Y500 and the Y580 series for Lenovo comes with a DVD Drive. On Lenovo's site, they both have an Optical DVD Drive listed in their hardware components but it doesn't seem like it comes with it. So basically I'm just asking whether either of the 2 laptops comes with a DVD Drive so I can install games and watch movies and burn discs. Because when I go to select the components, it seems like I have to pay extra for a DVD Burner/ Drive.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Both models come with a DVD drive, unless you get the Y500 with SLI graphics. In that case, the DVD drive slot is replaced with the second graphics card. It can be changed out though depending on what you need at the time.

I strongly recommend the Y500 over the Y580 as it has many newer features and the surprisingly strong GT 750m.

k1114

Distinguished
You don't select components. You select a model and each one has different components. The only one without a dvd drive is the one with sli. I believe you confused the accessories which lets you buy a dvd drive. This even states it is an additional burner. It is directed to the sli version so they can swap the second gpu for the dvd drive.

crazykidguy

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
what about the Y400 vs the Y500? their cheapest models seem to have the exact same components except the cheapest Y400 model ($719) has a slightly faster i7 CPU than the cheapest Y500 model ($799)