Unable to update the display adapters and also windows resource protection found corrupted files and were unable to fix them

BlankMel

Estimable
Sep 3, 2015
1. I was then looking at the knowledge base which advises to perform a sfc/ scannow
This has come up with a message that we have corrupt files

The case manager installed the latest version then caused issues - my laptop kept crashing.

They uninstalled the latest one and told me that I had the one from 2008.

I can not source this and Sony has not replied to me either

I have the graphics card, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

ATI AMD Raedon HD5650
the driver is and old one from 2008
Sony VIAO E Series VPCEB46FG - Windows 7 64 bit

Once I installed the updated driver - this is when I had issues with the complete operation of the lap top.
I am a beginner - Have googled and also tried everything else.

2. I also have the following

Faulting application name: DisplayLinkUserAgent.exe, version: 7.9.296.0, time stamp: 0x559b9d04
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18869, time stamp: 0x556366f2
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000bfc22

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 98bb7985-4689-11e5-9ccd-87c181ac63fc
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl+0x5D134)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA80091EA4E0, 0xFFFFF8800A60CCAC, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.
Google query: Microsoft Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

The two files seem to be - ntdll.dll and dxgkrnl.sys

If you require screen dumps please let me know

http://

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
you may have to do some work but you should be able to get newer drivers going.

first is to delete everything related to the gpu to start fresh. through the device manager select your display adapter and uninstall the driver. now check programs and delete the control center and all that stuff you find as well.

now download the newest driver http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows%207%20-%2064 and run the exe file. it will extract all the files to a folder at c:amd/

cancel the installation after it extracts and manually install the driver. do this through the device manager as well. select the options that you "have disk" "let me select the file location" and other options until it let's you navigate to the driver yourself. the driver will be in c:amd/amd.(driver#)/packages/drivers/display/(another random folder name) in this folder will be a .inf file the installer will recognize and use to put the driver on. this install only puts the driver and nothing else keeping some of these errors away since it won't install the other stuff.

this should keep those errors away and if you find you need the control center you can always install it manually as well. it is under the same amd folder under apps instead of drivers and is called ccc.

BlankMel

Estimable
Sep 3, 2015
Thank you - On the AMD website - do you recommend not trying to get them to identify the drivers I require - but manually select - that is where I ran into this issue in the first place.

I had the Control Centre - but the case manager from Norton said that I had to uninstall the whole Control Centre as it was constantly making my laptop shut down. Windows detected it - did an update and it went.

I hardly know anything about computers - so you have been most kind with details.

Let me know if I require to supply more details as Internet Explorer keeps crashing now and graphics card is not great.

Thanks again for the time and effort for a beginner.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
i liked you directly to the right drivers for your gpu. just click the download link and get that one. no need to do any auto detecting and such.

i can be more specific when the time comes to manually installing the driver but the basic steps above might be enough if you are observant looking at the device manager screen :)

BlankMel

Estimable
Sep 3, 2015

Thank you so much, very tough not being psychically in front of the computer
1PQaM3T
If you could look at my screen edits again, I would be most grateful

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
that is one of the hardest things about offering help like this is not actually seeing what you are seeing. in really tough cases i often offer to remotely access your pc and look directly myself.

this takes a lot of trust and i arrange this privately but sometimes it is the best way to get it figured out and fixed. been doing this so long i forget what things are called and "just know" what i am looking for. i find myself having to go through the steps on my own pc just to remind myself what each setting is called and such. :)

you're almost there though. just let that driver unzips itself and try out the manual install. win 7 had a lot of odd driver issues like this with amd and normally the manual install is the way to get around whatever the conflict is.

BlankMel

Estimable
Sep 3, 2015
I thank you for the offer.

I totally agree.

I get told that the drivers were from 2008 and that I should update them, but when I go into Hardware Manager - it informs me that it was 2010.

I get told to collect the logs???? To the beginner - I would not know where to look.

Attempted install of the autodetect manager and that then created a loop of my computer shutting down. Oh the joys of owning a computer.

I am glad I was able to isolate from forums on here what the files were and how to run a sfc/scannow. Never knew how to.

I trust only a few and I understand. But I am willing to take any assistance. I always have to power to take the ownership back.

I once had Norton LogMeInRescue and they took all %temp% and prefetch files off. I just wanted them to fix the error message. Then lost a back up set. So yes - I know a little about computer.

They then rebooted and did not inform me, I lost five transcripts - they could not retrieve them.

Thanks for your offer, will take it.

Let me know if you require any more information :D