Uninstalling windows OEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designerluke

Estimable
Mar 20, 2014
Hello Guys,

Sorry if this is a really noob-ish question but, is it possible to uninstall a windows OEM version so that you can sell/send motherboard in to manufacturer if something goes wrong with it?

It's just I am thinking of building my own PC and the thought of a windows OEM is putting me off, and I don't really want to fork out £100 for a retail version of windows.

Also if something did go wrong with the motherboard, would the manufacturer accept it even if it's tied to an OEM?

Thanks in advance.:bounce:

Solution

If you got a new motherboard, that OEM license is no good. Unless you are talking about an actual broken and replaced motherboard.
If you get a new board just because you want a new one, no. That license will not work.

The install process is the same, Retail or OEM. Boot from your install media and install it. Wiping out the old one.
The difference comes into play when you activate it.
Retail will activate. OEM will fail. You may be able to call MS and beg, but they are...

USAFRet

Illustrious

The OS does not get installed 'on' the motherboard. It lives on the hard drive or SSD.
If you need to send the motherboard back or sell it, what OS it is does not make a difference.
But you can't use that OEM license on a new motherboard, except in cases of broken and replaced.

A Retail license is not that much more expensive than an OEM. And gives you the opportunity to change hardware int he future, without problem.

Designerluke

Estimable
Mar 20, 2014
Thanks alot, so if I got a new motherboard and was using an OEM, how would I then install a new OS on my PC, do I need to format my SSD or would I just put the bootable usb into my PC, boot from it in BIOS and would it overwrite the current OS I have on there?

USAFRet

Illustrious

If you got a new motherboard, that OEM license is no good. Unless you are talking about an actual broken and replaced motherboard.
If you get a new board just because you want a new one, no. That license will not work.

The install process is the same, Retail or OEM. Boot from your install media and install it. Wiping out the old one.
The difference comes into play when you activate it.
Retail will activate. OEM will fail. You may be able to call MS and beg, but they are under no obligation to allow reuse of that license on another motherboard or system.

Solution

USAFRet

Illustrious

If you have an OEM install, and want a Retail install, there is no need to overwrite anything. The OS is the same, just the license type is different.
Change the product key:
V2oZUmx.jpg

Now....if you are changing drives or motherboard, that is totally different.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Boot from your install media.
During the process, you'll have thew option to wipe all existing partitions, leaving one large space.
Make one partition using the whole drive.
Then let Windows format it and use that whole space.

Status
Not open for further replies.