Solved! Unstable HDR signal from PC to 4k Samsung TV????

Jan 31, 2019
I’m at my whits end trying to figure this out
I am trying to pass a 4k/60hz/HDR signal from my computer to my TV using a newly purchased HDMI 2.0b cable. The HDMI is connected to my Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080 through 2.0b capable HDMI port, routed through a 30ft new HDMI 2.0b cable (link posted below), and connected to my 4K Samsung Q8FN TV (which all HDMI ports are 2.0b ready)
The cable passes normal 4k/60Hz signal just fine, but when I turn on the UHD HDR mode on my TV something weird happens. First, the TV just flat out doesn’t recognize the signal. Second, my computer recognizes the signal but is unstable. It sort of freaks out and cycles between recognizing and not recognizing the TV at all. At this point I have minimal control of my mouse cursor because it constantly flickers between detection. (hard to explain, also the icons are switching between two different sizes during these spaz cycles). This all stops when I turn off the UHD HDR mode on my TV
Troubleshooting, I brought my PC closer to my TV and hooked it up via DVI, turned on UHD HDR mode, and was able to get it to pass a stable signal; however, this was only at a max resolution of 1080/ 60hz. I tried dropping the resolution via the HDMI route but still unstable signal

What could be wrong? Is the cable junky? Is the cable too long? All my drivers and windows are up to date.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SI1JD56/ref=twister_B07MKLHT2D?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Solution
Long HDMI cables are always tricky and I suspect PC HDMI isn't the best at driving long cables. At $14 it's not a surprise that it may have issues.
Can you try the HDMI input on the TV with a different 4K HDR source? That won't eliminate the cable as a factor but would eliminate the TV as the problem.
Jan 31, 2019
MERGED QUESTION
Question from sonofasaracen : "Unstable HDR signal from PC to 4K Sumsung TV????"

I’m at my whits end trying to figure this out

I am trying to pass a 4k/60hz/HDR signal from my computer to my TV using a newly purchased HDMI 2.0b cable. The HDMI is connected to my Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080 through 2.0b capable HDMI port, routed through a 30ft new HDMI 2.0b cable (link posted below), and connected to my 4K Samsung Q8FN TV (which all HDMI ports are 2.0b ready)

The cable passes normal 4k/60Hz signal just fine, but when I turn on the UHD HDR mode on my TV something weird happens. First, the TV just flat out doesn’t recognize the signal. Second, my computer recognizes the signal but is unstable. It sort of freaks out and cycles between recognizing and not recognizing the TV at all. At this point I have minimal control of my mouse cursor because it constantly flickers between detection. (hard to explain, also the icons are switching between two different sizes during these spaz cycles). This all stops when I turn off the UHD HDR mode on my TV

Troubleshooting, I brought my PC closer to my TV and hooked it up via DVI, turned on UHD HDR mode, and was able to get it to pass a stable signal; however, this was only at a max resolution of 1080/ 60hz. I tried dropping the resolution via the HDMI route but still unstable signal

What could be wrong? Is the cable junky? Is the cable too long? All my drivers and windows are up to date.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SI1JD56/ref=twister_B07MKLHT2D?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Does your TV have display port? Might be worth trying that instead of HDMI, could also be a faulty HDMI cable or cable could be too long. Try moving your computer next to your TV and connect with a shorter HDMI.

Long HDMI cables are always tricky and I suspect PC HDMI isn't the best at driving long cables. At $14 it's not a surprise that it may have issues.
Can you try the HDMI input on the TV with a different 4K HDR source? That won't eliminate the cable as a factor but would eliminate the TV as the problem.

Solution
Mar 31, 2019
I am having the exact same issue.

I'm using a 980GTX with 50' HDMI 2.0 on my Samsung Q8FN.
Every time I turn UHD on for HDMI 1 (my PC's input source) I lose signal and the spaz on my other monitor begins.

My PS4 Pro works with UHD on, so I'm assuming it's a software/hardware issue in Windows, but I'm not sure if the Samsung Q8FN supports 4K 60HZ HDR content because I heard from a friend that the PS4 Pro outputs 4K HDR at 30HZ and not 60HZ.

Please let me know if anyone finds a solution. I will update you all if I find one as well.
Thanks

EDIT: "On top of that, the console was able to output in full 4K resolution at 60Hz, with HDR support, all without having to adjust any settings on either the Xbox or the TV."

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/samsung-q8fn-qled,review-5767.html

Last edited by a moderator: