Upgrade when replacing motherboard?

webecrowes

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
Looking for some advice for an absolute novice...
I am replacing motherboard on Dell Inspirion 5758 which I am pretty confident was damaged with power cord being bent and yanked multiple times.
I have found a replacement, but am thinking I may to make this computer faster while I have it apart. Currently it has an i5 5250U. So if I purchase an i7 CPU, do I need to purchase the i7 motherboard I see available for this laptop, or do I need to purchase the motherboard that is listed for the original build because that is that will fit?
Your probably thinking if I can ask such basic questions that why an I trying to repair my own laptop, but I have nothing to lose so I am going for it :)

webecrowes

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from webecrowes : "Upgrade when replacing motherboard?"

Looking for some advice for an absolute novice...
I am replacing motherboard on Dell Inspirion 5758 which I am pretty confident was damaged with power cord being bent and yanked multiple times.
I have found a replacement, but am thinking I may to make this computer faster while I have it apart. Currently it has an i5 5250U. So if I purchase an i7 CPU, do I need to purchase the i7 motherboard I see available for this laptop, or do I need to purchase the motherboard that is listed for the original build because that is that will fit?
Your probably thinking if I can ask such basic questions that why an I trying to repair my own laptop, but I have nothing to lose so I am going for it :)