USB headset that lacks left directed sound

harrymuana

Estimable
Sep 13, 2014
So I have a USB headset that needs to be plugged in with two jacks: a USB slot and a regular sound slot. Both sides work, but not for side-specific directed sound. So while listening to music I hear through both sides. But when I'm gaming and someone comes from the left, I do not hear it. If the person comes/shoots from the right, I do correctly hear it coming from my right ear. When I use microsofts test function, which plays a sound from your left ear followed by a sound through your right ear, I can only hear the right one.

If I unplug my headset, the microsoft test works perfect through my speakers, so I don't think it's a sound card problem.

Is there a way to fix this?

EDIT: Needed some extra enfo, so here it is:
I have the wired Afterglow headset (pretty sure it's this one).

If I try with regular earbuds, everything works perfectly.

Solution
Ok, sounds like you are using the afterglow device as the default playback device, which is mono.
Go into Control Panel>Sounds> Rt click on Afterglow headset> select properties.
On the General tab at the bottom change the dropdown to Do Not Use This Device.

This will cause windows to put sound processing thru the pc's soundcard instead of the Afterglows usb MONO sound card and you should have stereo again.

Enjoy

popatim

Splendid
Ok, sounds like you are using the afterglow device as the default playback device, which is mono.
Go into Control Panel>Sounds> Rt click on Afterglow headset> select properties.
On the General tab at the bottom change the dropdown to Do Not Use This Device.

This will cause windows to put sound processing thru the pc's soundcard instead of the Afterglows usb MONO sound card and you should have stereo again.

Enjoy

Solution

harrymuana

Estimable
Sep 13, 2014

Thanks a lot! I thought the solution would be more complicated so it's kind of stupid that I didn't think about that. On my cable there's a scrolling wheel where I can choose the balance between game and chat volume, so I guess that one of them is limited to mono. Disabling that one probably also disables that multichannel balance but that's a very small price to pay for having stereo sound for your game.