USB port from laptop broke off into mouse

Aurana13

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Hello,
This morning, my cat jumped on my laptop and knocked it to the ground, it tumbled and fell onto the portable mouse hooked into the side USB, breaking the laptops USB port. I have since fixed the mouse and tested it on another computer, it works fine, but the laptop will not register any USB plugged in, even to another port on the opposite side, or a free USB port attached to the power cable. How do I proceed?

Solution
A micro/mini solder repair technician can make this type of physical repair if you can source the two parts... and know one that owes you a favor.

USAFRet

Illustrious

The attachment from the USB port to the circuit board is almost certainly broken inside.
The only way to determine the extent of damage is to open it up and see exactly what is broken.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I don't know how you can reattach the USB port since it is often fixed to the motherboard ICB on a laptop. And because the bus is serial, all of the ports (or any of the related hardware for that matter) need to be functioning on a given controller for any of them to run. This is why your other ports aren't working either.

If you have accidental warranty coverage, make a claim. If not you could contact the laptop manufacturer and see about having them fix it which would most likely involve a new motherboard. The cost of it may get into the range of a new laptop, but it's worth a shot to see what the manufacturer has to say.

Aurana13

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
realistically speaking, if I had a second motherboard that may have had a slight issue not related to the usb, replacing those pieces and soddering them on correctly might fix the problem? If the person doing it were reliable and capable with small repairs as such?

Aurana13

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
No one has suggested even trying to uninstall and reinstall my drivers..... should THAT not be tested before I am suggested to just go out and purchase a new motherboard?

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
It is likely that the USB controller chip is damaged/fried. They fry rather easily when the +5V hits +data or -data pins. Even if the physical plug is repaired, you may need to replace USB controller chip also.

USAFRet

Illustrious

No one is saying rush out and get a new mb. I am saying diagnose the issue first.

The laptop falling directly on the port with something attached would suggest a physical issue, rather than drivers.
You could try it though.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

If you are asking this question, why haven't you tried it already?