USBs have all become unknown devices on Lenovo Laptop

Bforcer

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Hi,
So randomly today all my usbs became unresponsive on my Lenovo y460p. The left 2 do nothing, the right 2 supply power but do not transfer any data. I have two unknown devices in my device manager, and they randomly connect and disconnect, but always go back to unresponsive.

So far I have uninstalled all the usb devices and reinstalled, updated bios and chipset, I used the microsoft usb repair utility, and followed the infcache.1 guide.

I really have no other ideas.

Thanks

ratedk

Distinguished
Take a look at the USB ports. Do any of them look like they're missing any plastics, or have pins out of place?

This pic shows a good and a bad USB port:
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/660iB84943387CA1D0CE/image-size/medium?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

This could cause all the problems you've described. With your computer OFF you can bend the pins on the broken USB so they are not touching each other or the metal sides of the port, and it *should* restore functionality to the other ports. The cheap solution is to hot glue the bad port to keep it from getting buggered up again.

Bforcer

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Ok, so I:
-ran the motherboard diagnostic tool from there, said it passed.
-lenovo's y460p user guide had no information on usb troubleshooting (I followed the guide for thinkpad next)
-checked bios for usb functionality, it was enabled

ratedk

Distinguished

Yes. The bluetooth is usually connected internally via USB. What ever is fouling up the USB ports is also effecting the bluetooth.

If your under warranty, contacting Lenovo would be your best bet. If your out of warranty, well, you may be looking at replacing the Motherboard in a worst case scenario.

Bforcer

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
I am out of warranty, so it would appear I'm beat and will have to replace the motherboard. I've done tons of research, and nothing has worked, it must just be malfunctioning hardware.

Thanks for your help.

ratedk

Distinguished
Motherboard repair may be an option as well. I've had good luck with repair services I've found on ebay, just depends on the value of the laptop on whether or not it's worth fixing. If you search your model number and motherboard, your likely to find replacements or repair options.

Good Luck!