Using 2.1 computer speakers with old Sony receiver

Dominic4114

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
I want to know whether this will even produce sound at all.

I have a Sony STR-DE505 reciever with an single black RCA output for a subwoofer labeled MIX AUDIO OUT. I want to make use of a 2.1 computer speaker system primarily just the subwoofer of the Insignia NS-PCS41 system. The subwoofer is an active subwoofer as it has its own direct power supply. The connection is as follows: the audio connection for the first satellite speaker (1S) and the subwoofer are both wired into the second satellite (2S) speaker. The 2S has a 3.5mm male jack which would normally be used to plug into a computer/laptop/etc. I have no desire to use the satellite speakers, however the audio signal can't be isolated to the subwoofer as it must flow from 2S to the subwoofer and 1S.

What I would like to know is: 1) would purchasing a simple 3.5mm female-to-single black RCA male be all that is required to connect the computer speaker system to the receiver? 2) would the computer speakers, and more importantly the subwoofer produce sound given that the audio does not flow directly to the subwoofer but instead through the 2S satellite speaker? As mentioned above this is an active subwoofer given it has its own power supply.

On a separate note is it possible for me to free the subwoofer from the 2.1 system by stripping the audio wire from the subwoofer to the satellite speaker and then soldering it to a single black RCA wire?

Picture of the two satellite speakers. Left speaker only has one wire coming out of it which is a just the audio signal wire. Right satellite has 3 wires: 1) Audio out to Left Satelellite wire 2) Source Audio in via 3.5mm jack wire 3) Audio out to Subwoofer (end of wire has red cap which plugs into subwoofer)

insignia-ns-pcs41-powered-2-1-computer-satellite-speakers-set-black-16e6d0839f0542e30aa7dfaf04ba5b79.jpg

Besides the non-removable power cord, the only input is to the right of the bass volume knob, this is where the red wire on the previous picture goes into.

insignia-ns-pcs41-powered-2-1-computer-satellite-speakers-set-black-a788c8d72e4f092cd0edcefdc5ea2151.jpg

Back of the Sony Receiver

1359_5_str_de505grof.jpg

Reiterating the last question, if the red tipped wire that connects to the subwoofer was left plugged in and the opposite end permanently connected to the satellite speaker was cut and stripped, would soldering that wire end to an single black RCA adapter like the one below be feasible in allowing the subwoofer to operate independently of the now-disconnected satellite speakers?

Single black RCA Adapter

41%2BbRTSktPL._SY300_.jpg

In this case I would cut the 3.5mm end off and solder the subwoofer wire allowing me to plug the subwoofer into the receiver's single RCA port.

Thanks

Solution
Since the input to the speakers is stereo you would need a stereo 3.5mm plug at that end. The mono plug you show in the picture might not work. You would usually have two RCA plugs at the other end of the cable but would only use one of them to the subwoofer output of the receiver. It would work.
As for bypassing the satellites it is possible. If the red connector to the subwoofer only has two contacts then you could replace the jack on the sub with an RCA jack, hardwire a cable with RCA, or wire a female RCA plug to the sub and connect a cable to that.
The woofer might not work well with a surround setup so before you try bypassing the sats try it with them first. It won't have really deep bass and might not keep up with the volume of...
Since the input to the speakers is stereo you would need a stereo 3.5mm plug at that end. The mono plug you show in the picture might not work. You would usually have two RCA plugs at the other end of the cable but would only use one of them to the subwoofer output of the receiver. It would work.
As for bypassing the satellites it is possible. If the red connector to the subwoofer only has two contacts then you could replace the jack on the sub with an RCA jack, hardwire a cable with RCA, or wire a female RCA plug to the sub and connect a cable to that.
The woofer might not work well with a surround setup so before you try bypassing the sats try it with them first. It won't have really deep bass and might not keep up with the volume of the rest of the system. When you try it ease up to your regular volume to avoid blowing it.

Solution