Using a Canon Canolite D flash externally

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
I have a working canolite d that I wanted to use with my camera. Since it doesn't work with it on the hotshoe I wanted to use it externally and possibly have it sync with my cameras flash (I have a Canon Rebel XS) by remote. Does such a thing exist, and considering I have a pretty good flash for my camera already I wouldn't be willing to spend more and 20-30$ on it.

Solution

There is almost NO way you can time a flash by hand. The duration of the flash is so short that you will never get it right.

What I was referring to before is something like this. You buy one of these for each flash. The camera flash is seen by the light sensor on this adapter and triggers the flash. You use tripods to hold the aux flashes.

kanewolf

Judicious
If the hotshoe trigger works on the flash (test it by shorting between the two terminals with a knife blade) then you may be able to find a slave trigger that uses the brightness of your camera's flash to trigger the slave. The hard part will be finding the correct hotshoe. A generic Canon AE-1 or other 1980s hotshoe might be the same. Search for "flash slave trigger" there are a number on e-bay for < $10.

kanewolf

Judicious

The slave does the equivalent of the knife blade short. You will have to use controls on the flash or bounce or something to keep something like a SpeedLite from overwhelming your on camera flash. For $10, get one and play with it. Unlike when both of those flashes were made, you aren't wasting film now. Just batteries, and you should run rechargables anyway.

ajshn

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
Well it says you can use it by pressing a button so if I put the two flashes I have on two of them I could use it along with my camera flash if I time it correctly.

kanewolf

Judicious

There is almost NO way you can time a flash by hand. The duration of the flash is so short that you will never get it right.

What I was referring to before is something like this. You buy one of these for each flash. The camera flash is seen by the light sensor on this adapter and triggers the flash. You use tripods to hold the aux flashes.

Solution