Using a splitter for directv

Kucase02

Estimable
Sep 22, 2015
I have the whole home genie from directv. I took a swm splitter from the mini genie and attached that to the cable for the 3rd tv. Why doesn't my tv that we are trying to get satellite to won't show anything on the screen?? I changed the inputs and changed it to antenna and nothing, can't get channels?? Even when I scan for channels..nothing. What am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance!

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
are you splitting it before the mini box? if so then you need another box to decode the signal for this 3rd tv. the signal is not like a normal cable signal that a tv tuner can read. it has to be decoded by the box and then the picture sent to the tv.

if it is split after the box, then the 3rd tv will only show the same thing as the box it is connected to.

not sure which way you are trying to do this so figured i'd say both. morw than likely, it is the first way and you just need another box.

Kucase02

Estimable
Sep 22, 2015

Kucase02

Estimable
Sep 22, 2015
We split it where the main cable comes into the mini box. I didn't want to purchase another box for the 3rd tv that isn't used often so is there any way to split it without another box? And if I really need that box is any suggestions on where to get one?

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
as far as i know, there is no way to decode the signal without the box. directv stopped selling the equipment and now leases it like everyone else to get a piece of that nice big money pie.

to get another box, you'll need to contact directv and have them either send one or install one for you. they don't really give you much choice anymore like they used to. can't just run to the store and buy boxes anymore :(