Using another power button board for a laptop being not from the same brand

Lux Overclock

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014
This is something that i had started to wonder about ever since my old old laptops power board had stopped working. its because i have seen a few other laptop power button board in online shops and they seem, by pure luck, to have the same ribbon connector on the power button board as the motherboard of that laptop. so i was wondering if this would able to work.

Solution
Well 4 pins is easy to trace. Multimeter you can figure out whats what and then test the new button to see if it works the same way. Power buttons are usually just 2 pins connecting, there is no + and -. Two pins join, it's a closed circuit and good to go.
would be luck. 10 pins on a ribbon could correspond to many different things. It expects an LED on pins 1 and 2, and you connect it to a power board which has the power button mapped, when you press that button, you are going to short out the power and ground together and probably have a bad time.

Lux Overclock

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014

The thing about this laptop though, is that it has a 4 pin ribbon cable. not a 10 pin one. so i think that this would lessen the chance of a failure.
(from what i could remember, the only the old power button had was the button and an led.)

btw the laptop was an acer aspire 5560g one and the power button was from a dell inspiron n series

Well 4 pins is easy to trace. Multimeter you can figure out whats what and then test the new button to see if it works the same way. Power buttons are usually just 2 pins connecting, there is no + and -. Two pins join, it's a closed circuit and good to go.

Solution