Using Soundbar plus reciever

nathan1979

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
Have a SONY HTCT800 Soundbar, and then a SONY STR-DH770 receiver that controls two rear speakers. What would the trick be to get this to all work together?

Would connecting soundbar to TV with an Optical Cable do the job (so that both output audio at same time?)

Solution
There is such a thing as an LCR passive speaker that is meant to be used with a receiver. It connects just like three front speakers but looks like a soundbar.
If you have to use a soundbar then you would need to connect a speaker to line level converter to the front speaker terminals of the receiver. Connect that to the aux input on the soundbar.
Set the receiver to no center channel. The soundbar only accepts a stereo input so you can choose to use it as your L/R front speakers or the center channel but not both.
Set the speaker levels to balance the L/R front (in the soundar) and the L/R rears.

nathan1979

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017

So what would the recommended setup be?
Currently STB, BlueRay Player connect to Receiver via HDMI
Then Outputs to TV via HDMI Cable.

I tried connecting the HDMI cable from the Receiver into the soundbar, then into the TV (Sony XBR65X850E)
i had picture this way, but only had rear sound or soundbar.

Could it be a special setting?

Feb 14, 2018
I'm using a Pioneer receiver Vsx90 to distribute sound to my room.
Actually I connected Sony tv to the receiver through an optical cable and works perfectly.
I bought sound bar to improve frontal sound of my tv.
My question is how to connect Pioneer Vsx90 to sony sound bar. If possible please inform which output HDMI connection and setup of my receiver.

Thanks in advance.

Sell the sound bar and get a center channel speaker, connect that to the receiver.

There is such a thing as an LCR passive speaker that is meant to be used with a receiver. It connects just like three front speakers but looks like a soundbar.
If you have to use a soundbar then you would need to connect a speaker to line level converter to the front speaker terminals of the receiver. Connect that to the aux input on the soundbar.
Set the receiver to no center channel. The soundbar only accepts a stereo input so you can choose to use it as your L/R front speakers or the center channel but not both.
Set the speaker levels to balance the L/R front (in the soundar) and the L/R rears.

Solution