Variable buzzing from headphone jack while idle and playing games.

ginstaj

Estimable
Jul 9, 2015
Hello all,

I recently had some memory problems with my gaming PC (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WJLWjX) and had to reinstall windows and swap out some RAM. Now that everything is working again, I've found that the audio jack seems to be messed up. When I plug in ANY pair of headphones I hear a soft quiet, crackly humming that makes buzzing sounds depending on what's going on on the screen. When I load and play Skyrim the buzzing gets louder and louder and when I find myself in the game the game audio plays for a couple of seconds before it just becomes constant loud tonal buzzing that doesn't go away until I exit the game (and go back to the quiet buzzing).

I'm worried I might have done something to my computers mobo because we accidentally knocked some power cords loose when trying to fix the RAM problem. We made sure everything was tightly plugged back in but I'm worried I might have affected the sound in some way. I'm also wondering if there's a simple solution as to why my audio port is acting this way. Thanks!

Solution
Hey, seems like you are having some interference, I had a similar issue, however not related to the graphics card. It's pretty coming from your GPU I'm assuming, you might want to reroute the audio and the video cables away from each other, maybe they are too close.

So hopefully some simple cable management might resolve the issue. Also on a side note about the motherboard, just avoid touching it as much as possible and always try reduce ESD, so touch a metal case before touching the mobo when it's needed.

Rayven2

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
Hey, seems like you are having some interference, I had a similar issue, however not related to the graphics card. It's pretty coming from your GPU I'm assuming, you might want to reroute the audio and the video cables away from each other, maybe they are too close.

So hopefully some simple cable management might resolve the issue. Also on a side note about the motherboard, just avoid touching it as much as possible and always try reduce ESD, so touch a metal case before touching the mobo when it's needed.

Solution

arthurmimo

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015
What Rayven says. If your case has two audio jacks, you can also try the other one; maybe that one happens to receive less interference so you wouldn't have to do anything.