Verizon Chooses Redbox for Video Streaming Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

sporkimus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
If you want to create a Netflix killing company, then create a streaming service that offers new release movies without costing a fortune. Netflix's streaming service is junk. Yeah it might only be $8 for the "streaming only" plan, but the movies offered are either old or B-rated... or both. I've had an extremely difficult time finding anything new and worthwhile to watch. Anything that's a new release, I'm either forced to go out to a Redbox kiosk to get (and hope that it's even in stock) or rent from Comcast (at $5-$6 per movie).

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]sporkimus[/nom]If you want to create a Netflix killing company, then create a streaming service that offers new release movies without costing a fortune. Netflix's streaming service is junk. Yeah it might only be $8 for the "streaming only" plan, but the movies offered are either old or B-rated... or both. I've had an extremely difficult time finding anything new and worthwhile to watch. Anything that's a new release, I'm either forced to go out to a Redbox kiosk to get (and hope that it's even in stock) or rent from Comcast (at $5-$6 per movie).[/citation]

Netflix wants that. Its the movie studios that need the convincing.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sporkimus[/nom]If you want to create a Netflix killing company, then create a streaming service that offers new release movies without costing a fortune. Netflix's streaming service is junk. Yeah it might only be $8 for the "streaming only" plan, but the movies offered are either old or B-rated... or both. I've had an extremely difficult time finding anything new and worthwhile to watch. Anything that's a new release, I'm either forced to go out to a Redbox kiosk to get (and hope that it's even in stock) or rent from Comcast (at $5-$6 per movie).[/citation]

i happen to like b movies more than i like most blockbuster movies. personal taste, but yea... netflix at least has me as its audience...

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
No way will this work unless they stop charging so much for wireless data plans, and overages. Great you get a Netlix competitor plan but can't actually use it on your Verizon phone/tablet unless you pay 10 times what it's worth. Sounds awesome! I'll stick with my non 3/4g tablets, cable internet and netflix/amazon prime thank you very much. If I'm out and about, I'm certainly not going to be watching a movie anyway, otherwise I'd have stayed home.

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
If they make it similarly priced to Netflix's streaming service, AND (most importantly) make the streaming of their specific service NOT COUNT against your pithy 2GB monthly allowance, then it will be well worth it.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006

You only call Netflix's movie selection old and B-rated because you are one of the sheep that look for so called "blockbusters" which the majority of them are absolute crap anyways.

Sure Netflix has a bunch of junk but there are also quite a few really damn good movies as well . You just need to learn to expand your taste a little and try something outside of the big name american "blockbuster" movies.

Ip man (1 and 2) are great examples of really really good movies that most people wont try because its not an American film.

Status
Not open for further replies.