Verizon Dropped 911 Call About Trapped Woman

Status
Not open for further replies.

papaswedine

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
10,000 calls to 911 were dropped on Verizon's network
what did people do before cell phones? I thought in the contract it says something about not relying on your cell phone for emergency services..

G

[citation][nom]NeBuN[/nom]she was 94....it was time for her to go...stop collecting social security, i will need it some day, lol[/citation]

Nice , yes really nice! you suck man!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
expecting wireless technology to work, in a blizzard, with the weak antennas that you get in phones now, yea... smart.

i think that everyone should have a box in their home, thats a cell phone mini tower, big ones are good for miles, i'm talking about ones that were be good for at most 100 yards, and would be directly connected to land lines.

this way, the cell phone is like a sophisticated wireless phone. and these boxes will ONLY be in use if you call an emergancy number, like 911.

all cellphones from now on would have to incorporate this (iphone costs 187$ to make, and put togeather, they charge 800ish, make them earn that 800 by forcing the government mandated feature) it would also connect if you call local poliece number, for your whole state (that is at most a 100,000 line file, easy to cross reference) depending on how fast it can search, possibly adjacent states, or whole country. using these towers, if not for emergency purapses (911), or a real need (local poliece) would result in a 500$ - 5000$ fine, and possibly jail time.

this would also make responses faster, as easier to triangulate your position

G

@blackened144, you must not have a iPhone on ATT then, I have been surfing the web while talking and have dropped calls all the time regardless of my signal strength.

I understand there goes a saying, "If you have nothing good to say, don't say it at all" but why can't this article be an update to the THG story (which was published earlier this week) about the man trying to call 911 and couldn't get a hold of emergency services and saved the 94 year old. It's getting old reading the same article twice, just from another perspective :(

tonydu

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
There should be some law about voice quality. They multiplex too many digital signals on to a single digital channel. I'm convinced that they keep multiplexing signals until they lose enough customers, as opposed to caring about clarity.

Cell phone service is essentially a monopoly. Studies show that this is true of many mature industries. We need to protect our society from their greed and self-interest.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
For unknown reasons? Come on, THG you can do better than that. It's obvious that someone didn't set the network properly - a mistake that could have costed the loss of several lives.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
With all the service fees they overcharge us it should work without question! Verizon could have dropped some of the fees years ago, but since they are so nice (sarcasm) they continue to do so.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
So many people seem to think it's normal for cell service to go out due to rain or snow.
Verizon's service must truly suck hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.