Very High CPU, Disc, and Memory Problem

MinusK

Estimable
May 3, 2015
I have a laptop window 10 that will have high CPU and Disk percentage spike all the way up from 50% to 99% whenever i'm browsing or on whichever browser, deleting stuff, or any process that i try to run, even scanning from window defender.
The disk percentage would even spike from simple activities like opening up malwarebyte, or superantispyware to almost any applications.
When idle, everything would remain low except for my memory which is always a constant 40-50% and would rise equally high like the rest when i try to run anything.

Things i tried:

Sfc/scannow- no results

System- turned off Get Tips and Tricks When Using Windows

System trouble shoot- there were problems but were fixed and was not related to the problem

Scanning- malwarebyte picked up over 2000 threats, none are very harmful, most are registry and unwanted programs. I also did a superantivirus, and adware cleaner scan, lots of detected threats but none of these manage to fix the problem here too.

Services- disabled Window Search, IPHelper, SuperFetch, background Intelligent Transfer service

Registry Editor- disabled SuperFetch, changed NDIS value to 4, changed prefetchparameters values to 1

System configuration- turned off all services except ones from microsoft. Disabled startups from taskbar, no dice.

Restarting into Safe Mode- in safe mode, no network, nothing, and the problems still continue while in safe mode with the same very high cpu, disk and memory percentage whenever i do stuff

I got this laptop from my parents to help them solve what was making the computer slow, their primary use of it are browsing and reading the news. They had it for for about 4 years now, not sure if it's dying or not.

Note: The laptop itself isn't slow, it was just the internet connection problem they had from the town they were working at. The real problem i found was the high cpu, memory, disk percentage.

Achint2000

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
No big deal, if you have an HDD on your laptop and NOT AN SSD, your HDD must be heavily fragmented. Clear some disk space (atleast 10% of the total size), download piriform defraggler and defrag the hard disk drive. It'll take a long time but will make improvements.

Read more about what is disk fragmentation, just google it up.

If the problem's still there,
press Start+R, type "resmon.exe" without quotes, hit enter and go to "disk" tab. Click "Total (B/sec)" to sort processes using most bandwith and see if there's something stupid like svchost.exe (netsvc) or something which is taking up too much disk bandwith.

Same thing for the CPU, go to "CPU" tab and see if any process is using up too much CPU.

If you need everything to be lightning fast, get an SSD installed on your laptop and migrate your OS to it. Don't try it yourself.

MinusK

Estimable
May 3, 2015

i downloaded piriform defragger and it fragmentation column is stuck at 22%. analysis says the disk health is good.

This is what i got on my resource monitor. on idle with few applications on.

http://imgur.com/a/K7wiP

Achint2000

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
Seems quite normal... Except the system reading at 4 MB/s from the main disk...

Over 4 years of time, hard drives easily get too fragmented and the performance hit is horrible. I had my OS on a 7 year old HDD and it used to take like a minute to do anything.

Anyways, if it doesn't defrag properly, it's better to upgrade to a small 64 GB or 128 GB SSD. The performance increase is worth the price. :)

If you want to try and increase some performance, move all non-system related files (like music, videos, games, etc) temporarily to any other hard drive or other partition, then try defragging. It's easier to defrag with more space available.

MinusK

Estimable
May 3, 2015

Well i didn't mention this in clarity, the laptop itself isn't slow, it's quite normal the problem they had was the internet from their town that was making the browsers loading slow. The real problem i found was the high disc, cpu, and memory percentage which peaks to near 90-100% from just clicking on stuff. Also they don't download anything, no music videos etc. nothing. Which is why i thought it was simply due to being too old of a laptop.
Going to make more space on my laptop and attempt defrag again. if it doesn't work i'll try factory reset, and if that too doesn't work i'll go for a ssd installation.

Thanks for the reply, i'll post any progress later

MinusK

Estimable
May 3, 2015
okay well i defrag everything it says the disk is fine.
I did a factory reset, twice. The first one was simply to remove files, the second time was everything and the high cpu, memory and disk are still very high for whatever reason. I'm not even sure if changing hard drive to ssd wil even work, not sure if i want to spend the money on it too unless i'm sure
i'm open to suggestions at this point