Videos lag until I move the mouse, 100% maximum frequency [TROJAN MAYBE DETECTED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezork

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I'll be watching a video (youtube, for example), and the video will start to lag-think a slowdown to a few frames per second. Oddly, audio is unaffected, and continues to play as normal. Then I'll move the mouse, and it immediately returns to normal. This happens every few minutes.

I opened Resource Monitor, and it looks like CPU is clocking up to max frequency until I move the mouse, then it returns to normal. CPU utilization doesn't max out, only the frequency of the chip (I guess?).

Any idea what's going on?

nfArD5S.jpg

Memory utilization seems to be unaffected. I have a Core i7 2600k.

dezork

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

I'll have to test this. However, I looked closely at the memory graph- it looks like the sudden lag also corresponds to a brief uptick in hardfaults/sec (where before there were none). This has to be related somehow.

Edit: it doesn't only happen in Youtube. Vimeo displays the same behavior.

http://i.imgur.com/iXM3vpH.jpg

dezork

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Sorry for the double post, but I have more data: during these occurences, hard drive activity jumps to 1MB/s until I move the mouse. From a maximum of 100KB/s. How are these things related?

wLPLaMc.jpg

EDIT: NOW I'M GETTING SOMEWHERE! I've identified a process that's extremely suspicious. Wizppdhfu.exe is hammering the disk. It seems to be creating a bunch of temporary files, a ton of DLLs.

There are some forum posts that indicate that it might be related to some kind of Trojan. I don't know how to remove it though, the exe disappears when I move the mouse.

http://forum.kaspersky.com/lofiversion/index.php/t261684.html

dezork

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
OK, this is definitely a trojan. I kept the temporary directory open, where Resource Monitor was placing the mystery .exe.

"C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Temp\"

I opened a video, waited for slowdown. As expected, a directory was detected called "biqmjlskihvcsso" (nonsense of course).

Inside were all the DLLs, and the mystery exe, called wizppdhfu.exe. I immediately copied these to a different directory to examine them.
I opened it up with Notepad ++. My suspicions were confirmed, this is some kind of Bitcoin miner trojan.

I have no idea how to remove this thing, or if it's still active on my machine. Windows Security Essentials did NOT detect it.

therunner

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

Could you please check this?
I'd really really appreciate this as so have this issue.
Thank you.
EDIT: I have also found an executable file appearing on Resource Monitor when not using my mouse ("vpecyihvyphx.exe"). How do I use the Monitor to find its folder?
EDIT 2: Just ran MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. It seems to have done the job for now, so I recommend it for that. I'll keep you posted in case of any side effects/ reoccurences.

cageybee

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014
Hi, I just wanted to add to here as this same issue has been driving me nuts lately.

I'd like to add that this problem isn't just happening with Adobe Flash videos. This problem also happens when videos are played in HTML5 video player as well. Also, I am having this problem in all 3 browsers: IE, Firefox, and Chrome.

Some of my previous research pointed me to an idea that it is possible that I have a virus on my system. Well, I ran malwarebytes and indeed found some trojan problems that I suspect recently got onto my system (Thank you! Microsoft Security Essentials for providing a superb protection). I removed the problem. However, that didn't change anything. I am still having the lag in HTML5 video player and Flash video player.

So, again, to describe the problem, my videos play normally for 2-3 minutes (normal screen or full screen) and then they start to lag, i.e., videos start to show about 2-3 frames per second and skip lots of frames while sound being unaffected. Then, as soon as I move my mouse, the playback goes to normal. WTF???

I tried disabling other unneeded plugings, like VLC, etc, but that didn't do anything.

I tried removing the mouse and pluging it back in - nothing.

Disabled/Enabled either of the 2 Flash plugins that are in Chrome - nothing.

Disable/Enabled hardware acceleration - nothing.

I tried adjusting in Firefox the value in about:config of browser.sessionstore.interval to 3600000 - nothing.

I am getting sick of this problem. I can't watch anything away from the computer and have to constantly move the stupid mouse to get the playback go back to normal every 2-3 minutes.

Soiram91

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016

I have to same problem here few days now.
I dont know if you guys have solved it after all this time, but if you've found a permanent solution, i'd love to know it!

By disabling Windows Event Log, i have managed to avoid the lag only in VLC player, but the rest of the players and the browsers keep lagging after 2-3 minutes until i move the mouse.

freerdj

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

I too have this issue with YouTube, VLC, fullscreen games, etc. I've suspected a trojan too but don't see any errant .exes hogging memory or CPU. Long story short I am curious if there's a solution other than reinstalling Windows.

Soiram91

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016

Download Malwarebytes. Just make an update/fullscan and it's just a trojan which gets removed.
After that i suggest to completely deactivate Windows Defender and keep Malwarebytes going.

(If you already have another antivirus than Windows Defender, i'm not sure what else to suggest, these are the steps that I took and my problem is fixed).

freerdj

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012

For the record I had to reinstall Win OS entirely, but that got rid of the trojan and symptoms.

Werzion

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
I ran a program called RKill which told me to delete three files.

the stuttering seem to be gone now. Guessing a bitcoin mining-program that started running when the mouse and/or keyboard wasent active for X amount of minutes.

Philip_42

Commendable
Dec 24, 2016
I had been having the same issue on and off for a long time, and I FOUND A SOLUTION.

For me, HARDWARE ACCELERATION in Chrome was causing my issue. The whole video in Twitch would freeze (the audio would continue), but the video would work fine once I started moving the mouse and would continue to work when I moved the mouse in circles.

I fixed it by going into Chrome's advanced settings and disabling "Use hardware acceleration when available".

Seems to have fixed it.

Linux_n00b

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017
I've got to chime in. Was having the same problems with new Kodi build (17 Krypton), running on Win7- Firefox as browser.

No Malware/Trojans found and I was baffled. I was sure it couldn't be the "Use hardware acceleration when available" because it would lag and stutter even with Firefox not running... But, sure enough, that fixed it. Just go into Firefox, then Tools/Advanced/ Uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available".

Not sure how it helped even without Firefox running, but it did.

Thanks for all the help, hope this helps out some other folks.

Linux_n00b

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017

Update: After working for about 5 minutes, it's back to lagging.

Here's what I've done: CHanged settings in Kodi through "Easy settings" add-on. Put in specific values for my memory buffer size, etc, turned off de-interlace... No good.
Reverted back to factory settings in Kodi after disabling the "Accelerated Hardware" setting. No Good
Used specific values in Kodi settings (via several YouTube reputable users) trying the "accelerated" Firefox setting both on and off...No good.

There is nothing popping up in Task Manager other than "System Idle" that uses more than 4-5% of CPU.

So, back to square one. I'll update this if a solution pops up.

Status
Not open for further replies.