Vista + Sony Handycam + Firewire = Problem

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hondomagic

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Eroca

If I get the Sony iLink 4-pin to 4-pin, how do I use it with a laptop that does not have a 4-pin Firewire port? My pc can only accept USB and ExpressCard. I have yet to find an ExpressCard with a 4-pin port.

Please help. Thanks.

Hondo

stinj2002

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Like many of you I have an old Sony Handycam. Mine is the DCR-TRV340. I could capture video fine on XP, but I couldn't do anything with Windows Vista 64. Eroka wrote about getting a Sony cable to instead of a generic. I had been using a Belkin for years on XP with no trouble so I figured that wasn't the problem. After trying various fixes that didn't work I decided to get a Sony cable to see if it would help. My computer has a 6 pin port, so I got the Sony VMC-IL4615 from Amazon.com for $30 with no tax. Amazingly, it worked the first time I tried it. The Windows Import Video Wizard came up in about 2 seconds and I am capturing video as I write this. My advice is to try the Sony cable. If it still doesn't work, you can return it. BTW, I never buy expensive brand name cables. I use low cost hdmi cables and they work great for my tv. I'm really surprised the Sony cable worked when the other one didn't for video capture, but that's exactly what happened. In addition, I didn't have to download any drivers or software either. The cable solved everything.

G

I bought the iLink it didn't work. Sony Suck. Service Bad. You can't get the Picture Browser. And now I have to go beg some people in order to get a movie on my vista laptop. This is a very disappointing take for me on Sony and I did not get this problems with a Panasonic cam. Sony you are bad for not providing a solution. This was very unprofessional of this huge company, and I will think again weather or not I want to work with them on the future.

P.S. I don't care what's the logics behind sony's reasoning I want to plug the mini dv to a (Lenovo) laptop or any other laptop and work not make a PhD in electronic cables. So Sony you get an unhappy costumer here. End.

PiersB

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I have found that there are two types of 4-pin to 4-pin Firewire cable, one will work for streaming video to a PC and the other won't. I took delivery of the latter type yesterday and had the same problems reported above with the computer not recognising my HandyCam. As well as finding this forum, I came across http://pinouts.ru/Slots/ieee1394_pinout.shtml which contains the info : In a regular FireWire cable line A always connected to line B and vice versa (minus to minus, plus to plus). A quick check with a multitester revealed that my £1.70 cable was wired straight through, i.e. pin 1 to pin 1, 2 to 2 etc. So out came the wire snippers and soldering iron: the required connections are 1->3, 2->4, 3->1, 4->2, and hey presto it works! I don't recommend you try this at home folks, just buy a cable that says it's i.Link compatible. I just ordered one for about £3.50 (not that I don't have faith in my patched cable!)

Happy movie making!
Piers.

PiersB

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
p.s. I'm using 64-bit Vista sp1 on a Dell Studio 1555 laptop, Sony DCR-TRV22E Camcorder connected via the 4-pin 1394 port on the laptop.

Fallo

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I have the FINAL answer (I hope) to the HDV not working on Vista 64 Bit.

This has been bugging me since last year and the answers above are fine for DV imports but not HDV.

My issue was DV and HDV imports by firewire were working fine on Vista 32 Bit O/S, but only DV importing was working on Vista 64 Bit O/S but not "NOT HDV".

I had to download my HDV on a Vista 32bit Laptop (Sony) and transfer to my Vista 64 Bit (HP) laptop to edit the files.

The solution found by another board is to install the JMicron Driver Ver 1.0.4.0 A for Firewire on the is link. OK my Laptop is HP but it updates the Microsoft 2006 Driver which gave me the issue. Try it out as it worked perfectly for me.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en&softwareitem=ob-74849-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_UKEN

I'm using a good 4pin to 4 pin firewire cable too.

Regards,
Karl.

Hank Meyer

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Okay, I purchased a Dell Vostro 1520 Laptop For the purpose of it's 4 pin 1394 port for my hobby of making home videos with my Sony DCR-HC52!
I was using my Dads Sony Laptop (Windows XP) with a Sony i.link cable which i payed the big bucks for and worked fine but his computer is far to slow and he is using it all of the time.
So, I decided it was time I bought my Dell computer (Windows Vista Basic) mainly for the purpose of making videos with my Sony handycam DCR-HC52 Camcorder.
I have had this problem since I bought it; it does not recognize my camera! I later realized that the pins had bent back in the expensive Sony i.link cable (4 to 4) So i went out and bought a Dynex Firewire 1394 4 to 4 pin to find out it does not work, although it works with the Sony computer (windows XP)
I have done so many things;
host controllers in device manager installed, updated, "working"
Checked Sony's website for drivers etc.
Went to Sony store! They couldnt help.
Asked on Yahoo Answers, nobody could help
It was until i found this Form i thought was worth reading I tried everything, I hope I dont have to buy another Sony i.link cable they wouldn't let me return it even though i had the receipt, bag and broken cable (It was a few days over return policy)

Could somebody, if you know what to do help me please i have spent over $700 on this "hobby" THANK YOU

PiersB

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Hank,
first off, did you test the connections in the cable as per my first post? Let me know if I wasn't very clear. Failing that, it's possible your 1394 socket on your camera or laptop was damaged by your first cable. Let's hope it's the cable...

Fallo

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Hank,

You did not say what O/S version on vista you had, and I suspect it's 64bit which means it'sproably a driver issue.

Did you try the driver on the link I posted above? My driver on "vista home premium" said that it also worked too on the system drivers, but it didn't. It would see the camcorder but not download the video from it until i installed the driver.

If your camcorder works with with windows movie maker then it's your video editing software that's the issue. My vegas worked only when windows movies maker could download in HDV. I could download in SD or non HDV without the driver update but not HDV until I installed the driver update.

Windows Vista 64 Bit Home Premium

Without Driver

Vegas SD (standard definition) = Yes
Vegas HDV = No

Windows Movie Maker SD = Yes
Windows Movie Maker HDV = No

With New Driver

Vegas SD = Yes
Vegas HDV = Yes

Windows Movie Maker SD = Yes
Windows Movie Maker HDV = Yes

Hope this helps.

Hank Meyer

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
I am using Windows Vista Basic 32-bit OS. I tryed the drivers you posted above but still no luck. Thanks for the help. No programs on my computer recognize anything but on my camcorder it says DVin and the cord i am using works with Sony Win XP Pro

Hank Meyer

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Yes I did follow that link. I know the port is not damaged on my laptop because i knew that the original sony cable was damaged before I put it in my laptop. the camera port is not damaged because it works with Sony Win XP laptop. Thanks for the help.

rainbow86

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Thanks, all u. because i solved the question with having a try following the above-mentioned ways.
I have the same question, but different camera have different features.

I've ordered a cool digital camera from there.
http://www.sourcinggate.com/k109-12mp-hd-digital-camera-with-30-inch-rotatable-screen-p-6707.html

And my boyfriend has bought the sony from http://www.ebay.com/ for me, my laptop is vista, firewire is complimentary by supplier.
My camera works well, but sony camera is out once every mouth.

I still think, what difference between two cameras?
why do work better is the cheaper camera?

vol96

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
I have same problem but worse, Sony DCR-TRV280, Gateway NV5378u, Windows 7, no Firewire port, no Express Card slot. Only ports are 4 usb, 1 hdmi, 1 sd, Ethernet rj45, 1 serial, 1 modem jack. From what I have read here, I am really screwed.

n8dizzle69

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
what if my laptop doesnt have the Dv PLUG, what other type of plug should i buy? im trying to hook my camcorder to my laptop, then upload a vid on youtube.

G

I am also in the same ***,

I have a Sony vaio laptop (currently no firewire connector) windows 7, 64bit + sony HDV camcorder,

This week i'm gonna buy this card : http://www.1topstore.com/product_info.php?language=en&currency=GBP&products_id=460

because it seems for me the most usefull express card .

I will try everything to get my capture deivce ONLINE in adobe premiere cs 3

I do have a fire wire cable 4 to 4 pin ( not from sony) and even a 4 to 6 pin cable

I'll let you know what configure will work if i get it working at least...

On my previous dell laptop i had a 4 pin connector , so i guess it must be possible ,

and ow yeah you really don't need to call the sony helpdesk because you are probably way smarter than they are :)

alen

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
Ok so where to start. I have a Sony Handycam (had it for a long time.) Works fine on XP, but I recently upgraded to Vista.
As some of you may know, most versions of Vista do not support Firewire. So I can now not transfer video or stills from the MiniDV tape to the computer through firewire. However, the camera has a USB Stream feature, in which you can stream from the tape through the USB cable to the computer, and transfer the video that way.
The manual of the camera says I can use Pixela ImageMixer 1.0 to do this, but I cannot find a free version of that anywhere, since I lost the disc it originally came on. I have Pinnacle Studio 12, but this can only be used with Firewire, so no dice.
Does anyone have any other software that I could get that can transfer from Mini DV tapes to the computer through USB cable? Or perhaps a solution for Vista to make Firewire work (though that is highly unlikely.)
Thanks in advance.

RE: Connect the camcorder's DV port (not USB) to the computer's firewire port (not USB) with a firewire cable (not USB). With the camcorder in "VCR" mode (on the power button/mode selector), launch the video editor and Capture or Import the video. Refer to page 92. i.LINK, IEEE1394, DV and firewire are all the same thing. DV format video is high quality.

USB is used only for transferring data (stills and very highly compressed, motion JPEG low quality video) off the memory card.................may this helps u.

Camcorder Charger

bltoha

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Simple fix: roll back your firewire adapter driver to generic IEEE OHCI driver in Device Manager. After that also generic cables should work. Generic driver in called "legacy" in Win7. Should work also on 64 bit systems.

G

Hi guys,
I had the same problem with a Sony DCR-TRV 350.It worked fine with Win XP. But USB streaming does not work in vista and Win 7.
I called sony and I was advised to use the firewire from the camera to the computer.
First I tried a generic 4 pin to 4 pin firewire cable. It did not work.
So I went ahead and got a DYNEX firewire 4pin -to-4 pin cable from BestBuy.(TE-FW 1394-4-4).
Win vista home premium recognized the camera as a DV camcorder. Win 7 Pro 32 Bit recognized it as a Sony Digital 8.
Thre is nothing wrong with the operating systems and everything was in the cable.
Make sure you do not use any cheap firewire cables. Spend few extra bucks and get a good one.
I hope this will help.
Regards,
Emil

sudiptobasu

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

Hi Wildhare,
Could you please help me with a similar problem. I have a Sony HDD TRV2885 camera. My laptop is a Compaq Presario 3710 running on windows XP.
I have purchased a 4pin to 4pin firewire cable. On connecting the camcorder to laptop there is no detection. Laptop simply doesnt aknowledge the camcorder. Using Pixella or Windows movie maker.
When used with the USB cable provided with the Sony camcorder it is workig fine but captures only 8~9 minutes of the video at a time.
Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sudipto

sudiptobasu

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Hello Mr Mahendra,
Could you please help me with a similar problem. I have a Sony HDD TRV2885 camera. My laptop is a Compaq Presario 3710 running on windows XP.
I have purchased a 4pin to 4pin firewire cable. On connecting the camcorder to laptop there is no detection. Laptop simply doesnt aknowledge the camcorder. Using Pixella or Windows movie maker.
When used with the USB cable provided with the Sony camcorder it is workig fine but captures only 8~9 minutes of the video at a time.
Please suggest if I have to download some driver to make the i.Link cable work or help detect my Sony camcorder? If yes then where do i download the driver from. I have just recieved/purchased the cable and have got no driver with it.
Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sudipto