Vista + Sony Handycam + Firewire = Problem

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bendort

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
This is the solution I found to get the camera to work on Vista 64 bit, I'm using a 4 pin to firewire b (9 pin) though this should not amke any difference. The camera was recognising it was plugged in but the computer was not detecting it.

1. Open device manager
2. Open tab IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller
3. Right click on the option under this (i.e. compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller) then Click update driver software...
5. Click Browse my computer for driver
6. click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
7. Select OHCI COmpliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller (or a legacy option)

It will then install. This worked perfectly for me and as soon as I switched camera on it sprung to life. Hope this helps.

G

That number wasn't working but this one worked for me 2-666-755-01 :hello:

nocluetoday

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Hi everyone

I stumbled across these posts as I'm having similar issues.

Ive got Windows 7 Pro 64bit. The Sony Handycam which is quite old shows up in Devices but not Movie Maker. The pc has a 6 pin firewire port plus I've also put in a PCI firewire card.

Do I need an expensive cable ?

Best regards

Saraste

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
USB is used only for transferring data (stills and very highly compressed, motion JPEG low quality video) off the memory card.................may this helps u.

Camcorder Charger

I think usb is not only used for transferring data, but also usb also can help us to charge when our charger is broken.

Saraste

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011

Wow, so great. Thank you!

haywardb

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Thanks to everyone who posted tips on here. Using the tips on this page plus one I found on another forum, got my old Sony DCR-TRV330E working over firewire (iLink) to Win 7 64bit.

The extra trick that I got from somewhere else is put below. I can't take any credit for it.

•Go to Device Manager and click on IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers
•Click on the device listed underneath this heading. In my case it was Texas Instrument 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
•Right click this device and select 'update driver software' from the shortcut menu
•Then select the option 'browse my computer for driver software'
•Then select the option 'let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'
•This then gave me three drivers to pick from (make sure the'show compatible hardware' checkbox is ticked
•Select the driver named '1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)'
•Install driver

maxxfordham

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008

Hmm, so what? Neither do direct analog video connections (such as through RCA cables, S-video, or SCART). So... I don't see what your point with that is supposed to be. What is it?

Adam12345678

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
This worked for me with my $3 cable. Windows couldn't see my (Sony DCR-PC9E) camcorder at all, I checked your link and my cable, found there was no crossover so I cut the cable, rewired and re-soldered it and immediately got 'DV IN' showing on the camcorder and (after a bit of messing around with the laptop) it also showed up in windows.

Note the bit of messing around in Windows involved switching out a hard-drive with Vista installed (which didn't see it), to one on which I'd installed Windows 7 (which saw it straight away) so it does look like there is an issue with Vista as well (or at least the drivers that came with my Vista installation).

Thanks for the info

sonyman123

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017
Solve, Solved, Solved

I have a Sony Handycam DCR-PC105e (PAL). In the good old days of Windows XP 32bit this worked.

Now I have Desktop PC Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

1. Bought a zebronics firewire card PCI1394A, which had 6 pin and 4 pin firewire port.
2. The information on the box told that this compatbile with Win 7 64bit and Windows 8 also.
3. I used a 4-to-4 pin ilink cable (aka firwire standard of sony).
4. Set the DV out settings in handycam

Voila, Voila Voila
1. When the card was inserted, Device Manager reported IEEE1394 controller installed.
2. After the ilink was attached to handycam, powered on
3. When the 4 pin ilink was inserted, DV IN came up in handycam screen
4. Device Manager loaded the appropriate drivers automatically
5. Sony DV Camcoder came up in Device Manager.
6. HomeMemories Home software from sony identified the handycam, donwloaded the tape software
7. Was able to import from handycam tape to hard drive, the videos.

Please contact me, if you have problems