Status
Not open for further replies.

plo346

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
Is there a low cost (under 20 dollars) or free vm software that could be used to make a 2 player gaming rig?

Solution

The free VMplayer allows for vram up to 2Gb and plays games fairly well,the biggest problem being the drive emulation where the ssds would come in,you could also do it on just one ssd but two of them would be even better.

plo346

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

but could it play overwatch?

captaincharisma

Distinguished

i wouldn't think. it can play more games now but you would likely run into a problem with low vram. i know the pro version of vmware workstation allows you to set the vram amount but this option may not be on the free version

plo346

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

is there another software I could use that would have those features?

plo346

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
I have 2 ssd's because the build is for 2 brothers who want to be able to split the PC up potentially in the future. Why us gaming in a vm problematic?

USAFRet

Illustrious

VM's don't work like that.
A VirtualMachine is an entire PC, encapsulated in a single "file". It does not need its own dedicated drive.

Currently, I have 5 or 6 VM's available. Linux, WinServer, Windows. They can all live on a single drive.

Why is gaming in a VM problematic? The guest system in the VM will NOT play as well as in the host system.
Well, you sort of can, if you throw a LOT of money at it.

The word you're looking for is multiseat.

Here's how Linus did it, with his entire team of staffers to eventually make it work, and a LOT of money.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuJYMCbIbPk

TerryLaze

Commendable
May 9, 2016

The free VMplayer allows for vram up to 2Gb and plays games fairly well,the biggest problem being the drive emulation where the ssds would come in,you could also do it on just one ssd but two of them would be even better.

Solution

USAFRet

Illustrious

Seeing as VMPlayer and VirtualBox are both free, and you already have this hardware, and you presumably already own 2 copies of the game....try it and see what happens.

My money is on that it will not work nearly as well as you desire...but try it.
See what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.