VMWare Player avoid CPU detection

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hi. I was wondering if anyone knows a means by which I can avoid a virtual windows XP from noticing hardware changes in the host - in particular the CPU seems to be 'passed thru' from the host directly.

Solution
If the software is that sensitive to the CPU then I think you are out of luck. Most software just assumes the most generic CPU. What particular software is it that will only run on certain CPUs?

Ijack

Distinguished
And what do you want it to think it is running on?

Again, why you want this - and what you are trying to achieve - is important. The short answer to your original question is that you can't hide the CPU from the guest. But there may be another way to achieve your objective.

aatje92

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
Well if i don't know what you're trying to achieve i can't really give you any advise. But if you need to make use of an instruction set your CPU doesn't support that's not going to happen

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I don't need any instruction set not commonly available, I just want the system not to notice if it's running on different, still intel core i, hardware.
It's being deployed to a multitute of computers and there is potentially an issue with the software in it if the cpu change is detected.

TRENDING THREADS