VMware Player, Window Server 2003

TrevorBubbles

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
Hi Forum,
I have searched online and on Toms but I cannot find a working solution to my problem.

Problem:
I have a client PC (Win xp pro) set up on a VMware player.
I have a server (win server 2003) set up on another VMware player.

I know the client can talk to the server as i can ping between both.
I have followed all the set up steps and they are working.

My problem is when I create a new user in AD, and then log off the WServer attempt to log into the new user account on the same VMware player, I get an error message stating "the logon policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively"

I have created one other user and I placed this user in the Domain Admin Group and I did not have the above problem for this user but I do not think that I can do this for all users I create.

Any help would be great.

Regards, Trevor Walsh

TrevorBubbles

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013

Hi Ijack,
The server and client PC is set up using static IP addresses, not dynamic. DNS is set up. In the preferred DNS server slot on the client and server computers I have the same IP address which is the IP address of the server.

I have not looked into setting up NAT, bridge or anything else.
When searching solutions for this problem NAT or bridge were not flagged. I am using VMware player, not server.

Ijack

Distinguished
Could you just confirm something else. You are attempting to sign on to the XP client VM, not the 2003 server VM? I ask because I believe, by default, Windows server OSs do not allow non-administrative users to log on to a server console.

TrevorBubbles

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013

I log off from the Server VMware player, then I attempt to sign onto a user account I created in Dctive Dir on the same VMware player in Win XP.
Just to repeat, when I put a user account in the Domain Admin Group, then I am allowed to log off the server and log into that user account on the XP client on the same VM player.
I hope that helps a bit?

Ijack

Distinguished
You should be able to sign into a normal user domain account on the XP client (assuming that you have joined the client to the domain) but not on the server. If that is not happening then you must have inadvertently changed something. If you haven't configured too much the simplest solution may just be to start over. When you set up the VMs make sure that the network adapter type is not set to NAT.

TrevorBubbles

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013

Hi Ijack,
When I create a user on the server, I have no problem signing into that users account on a different VMware player using the configured password etc. But that user account is missing folders (ie the Profile folder).
But when I log into the same user account on the same VMware player containing the server (when I put that user in the Domain Admin Group) all the folders are there on the C drive of the account.
All this came about when I was doing some tutorials and I noticed the profile folder was missing and I could not complete the tutorial. Then I worked backwards and realised I wasnt doing some of the tuts correctly.
Its a pain now as I have tried a lot of stuff and nothing has worked.

Ijack

Distinguished
OK, this is a different problem. As far as authentication is concerned your server is working as it should.

When you say the profile folder is missing, do you mean that you get no "My Documents", etc. on the client machine? That sounds most odd.

TrevorBubbles

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013

When logged into a user account on the client VMware player I get the following on the C drive:
D (folder)
Documents and Settings (folder)
Program Files (folder)
WINDOWS (folder)
devcon.exe
DFsFnshr.exe
DFsFnshr.ini
DriverPack_CPU_wnt5_x86-32.ini
DriverPack_LAN_wnt5_x86-32.ini
DriverPack_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32.ini
DriverPack_WLAN_wnt5_x86-32.ini
DSPdsblr.exe
makePNF.exe
mute.exe
pmtimer.exe

What I should be getting (but not getting) on the C drive I think is:
ADFS (folder)
Documents and Settings (folder)
Inetpub (folder)
MSOCache
Profile (folder)
Program Files (folder)
WINDOWS (folder)
wmpub (folder)
msizap.exe

????

TW

Ijack

Distinguished
I'm not sure about all those folders, but ADFS (I think) you would only expect to see on a server. "Inetpub" and "wmpub" are associated with IIS7 and I wouldn't normally expect to see them on an XP machine. Your profile settings are stored in "Documents and Settings" on XP. Everything looks normal to me for an XP client machine.

What makes you think that you should see that second list of items on your client VM?

TrevorBubbles

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013

I think you should get the second list of items if you log onto the client remotely through the server using the same vmware player. but this has been giving me the "the logon policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively"
Its the only way you can set up a mandatory profile for example? you have to change security settings on the profile folder in the user account but this profile does not show up when you log from a different client vmware player.

TrevorBubbles

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013

I think im gonna reset everything and start over again because I think the tutorials I am following are not what they should be.
This system admin lark is a head wrecker and Im only getting started :0)
Thanks for the feedback and advice Ijack. Hope I didnt waste too much of your time.
Regards, TW