gibbey531

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Bit of an odd question here, but I'm currently looking into the idea of streaming my windows 7 computer from my bedroom to the living room area. It's not very far, but the way the apartment is set up makes running cable not very feasible (also the fact I have a little lady entering my life in less than a month...the less cables hanging around the better lol).

I came across several wireless hdmi transmitters that seem to do the trick, but they are a bit pricey. I also came across hdmi over ethernet, but that too involves running cables which I'm trying to avoid.

A co-worker mentioned some ethernet over power line adapters and thought converting hdmi to ethernet, then using the ethernet to powerline adapter to run the distance, but I feel that would be too many adapters to maintain quality picture and latency.

My goal is to stream video and possible games with Steam's Big Picture Mode, so quality and latency are factors....but does anyone have any recommendations? Or even any clever ways of accomplishing this daunting task?

Thanks a million!

USAFRet

Illustrious
Set up a small PC in the living room to talk directly to the TV. If you're going to try to game while in the living room, now you have to get the mouse/keyboard/controller signal back to the bedroom, and then the video out to the TV.

Something will lag a little bit.

And if you have a lady moving in...just move the PC out of the bedroom.