Webcam is on but no program is using it.

RKayEll

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014
I have a Microsoft Lifecam 3000 and for a while now I've had problems where my Skype has tried to use my webcam but it tells me another program is using it. Also the blue LED on my webcam is on sometimes when I am not using it. I wonder if this is a security thing? Could I it be that I am being watched?

I ask because my Facebook account recently had someone try to log into it from a different country (I changed my password and nothing like that had happened since).

Any help? Sometimes restarting Skype fixes this issue if I remember correctly.

3tech5me

Estimable
Jul 10, 2015
First thing I would do is run a scan to make sure the problem isn't caused by malware. Then go into task manager to see if there's a program that uses the cam running in the background.

RKayEll

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014

I'm scanning with AVG right now, I'm then going to scan with Malwarebytes.

There are no programs that should be using cam.

3tech5me

Estimable
Jul 10, 2015

It still wouldn't hurt to see if there are programs using the cam. For example, facial recognition (comes with a lot of win8 systems) might continue to run after logging in. Also make sure you only have 1 version of skype installed. I remember I had the skype app as well as skype for desktop on my laptop and it would flip out every time I picked up a call.

RKayEll

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014

I use Windows 7 ^^ none of my processes/programs should be using my webcam either. I have checked my process and there isn't two Skypes running.