Weird behaviour/troubleshooting PC->HDMI->Receiver->bitstreaming audio (MPC-HC and VLC)

Spiritos

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
I recently assembled a new monster-PC (Win 8.1 64x/i7-4790K/Asus Z97 Pro/MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2 GB) and connect to my PC-monitor using DVI and HDMI to my receiver (Sony HT-SS1300: http://www.sony.nl/support/nl/content/cnt-specs/HT-SS1300/list)

I use MPC-HC (and occassionaly VLC but I prefer MPC) to play movies on my TV-screen.
I have not installed FFDShow since I read it became redundant so it's a pretty bare install.

Yet when I switch from my PC-monitor to my TV (receiver) I can't use the Windowkey-P shortcut but have to use NVidia Config to deactivate my PC-monitor and activate my TV/Receiver after which I need to set my correct audiodevice in Windows sound config.

Since my receiver is able to decode DTS and AC-3 (and play HD sound though not decode it) I opt in these settings in MPC-HC but then I have no audio at all. I need to opt out the bitstreaming but then I don't get real 5.1 audio out of my HCC 5.1 setup.

Weird thing is VLC (sometimes) does give me (correct) 5.1 even though I haven't changed the default settting.

Another weird thing is I need to reboot my PC in order to follow the above script. I think it has to do with the fact I also use an external AI (Steinberg UR-44) which somehow messes things up if I used it prior to switching to my TV but that's only a hunch -since I can't understand why.

So: What is my problem? I'd prefer bitstreaming but opting-in gives me no audio at all and when I let the receiver handle the audiostream I get a 'smucked up' version of 5.1 (so no real 5.1 FX).

Kinda lost here -even though I plowed through numerous tutorials like: http://www.ezoden.com/htpc/11/mpc-hc-internal-filters which in effect only address the bitstreaming which doesn't work correctly.

Any sharp minds willing and able to point me in the right direction?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Streaming Video & TVs 1
K Streaming Video & TVs 5
C Streaming Video & TVs 1
A Streaming Video & TVs 3
R Streaming Video & TVs 3
E Streaming Video & TVs 2
dsr07mm Streaming Video & TVs 8
B Streaming Video & TVs 5
F Streaming Video & TVs 4
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
L Streaming Video & TVs 1